Tottenham have been told their opening bid for a defensive target is nowhere near the mark and will need a lot of improving, according to a report.
Nuno Espirito Santo hasn’t brought in many new faces at the Tottenham Hotspur Stadium this summer. Arguably, the club’s biggest piece of business was concluded today when Harry Kane announced he’d be staying. However, there is still work to do.
Spurs wanted to make two defensive additions in the transfer window. The exits of Toby Alderweireld and Juan Foyth have opened up gaps in the squad.
So far, one defender has been acquired. That is Cristian Romero, who has joined from Atalanta for a fee in the region of £42m.
Weeks have passed since his arrival, though. And now there’s just six days left before the window closes at 11pm on August 31.
A report last week claimed they had honed in on their target. It said Nuno had ‘demanded’ the signing of his Portuguese compatriot Domingos Duarte.
The Granada centre-back, who has been capped twice by his nation, has since been the subject of a bid from Tottenham.
Spanish radio station Onda Vasca report this was swiftly rejected because it was considered to be ‘derisory’.
They add, as translated by Sport Witness, that unless Spurs ‘lose their mind’ and ‘add a lot’ to the offer, then they will not achieve a deal.
According to the source, another bid has been submitted today that is an increase on the opening proposal.
However, it is clear that it needs to have been raised significantly to entice the Spanish side to sell.
Tottenham can draw some hope as Granada have lined up a replacement in case Duarte leaves. That man is Athletic Bilbao’s Unai Nunez.
Tottenham ‘working under the radar’ on deal
Meanwhile, Tottenham are also understood to be working on a deal for Cagliari midfielder Nahitan Nandez.
Fabio Paratici is working hard behind the scenes and Nandez is a deal he is reportedly trying to get over the line.
Nandez, 25, is looking to leave Sardinia and the local newspaper La Nuova Sardegna via Sport witness say Spurs, Inter Milan and Atalanta are all keen.
According to the outlet “Nandez wants to leave” after a fall out with Cagliari officials over refusing to play in a recent friendly.
The report does indicate that Inter and Spurs could “work under the radar” to sign the midfielder.