Tottenham, Chelsea given hope of landing QPR attacking sensation

Date published: Monday 24th February 2020 7:13 - Robert McCarthy

QPR director of football Les Ferdinand has seemingly given Tottenham and Chelsea hope of landing a top attacking talent this summer.

Spurs are keeping a close eye on events at Loftus Road this season, especially with young duo Jack Clarke and Luke Amos on loan at Rangers, but it is Eberechi Eze who is attracting the most attention.

The attacking midfielder has made a massive impression in the Championship since making his debut back in January 2017, and it would appear that he is destined for the Premier League.

Tottenham are one of a number of clubs to have been linked with the 21-year-old over the past six months, with Eze scoring 11 goals for Mark Warburton’s side so far this campaign, while he also has six assists to his name in his 36 appearances.

QPR are currently 13 points off the play-off places with 12 games left to play and look almost certain to be playing Championship football again next season, which will probably see them cash in on Eze.

And speaking in an interview with football.london, Ferdinand revealed it would be hard to keep the player if they don’t go up.

He said: said: “It’s going to be very difficult. When you have a player of his quality doing well in your team nobody wants to see him go.

“I had to fend off a few offers in the January window and, I’m sure if he continues to play in the manner he is playing and adds a few more goals to his game, I’m expecting us to get offers in during the summer.”

Tottenham are not the only club showing an interest in the talented playmaker, with London rivals Chelsea also known to be monitoring his progress.

And former Spurs forward Ferdinand believes Eze is more than capable of playing at the top level, adding: “I think if you look at his ability, I see him playing for one of the top six sides.

“I see him playing for England or he can play for Nigeria as well, so we’ll see him on the international scene because of his ability. He’s certainly got the ability to do that.

“There’s a few more bits and pieces to add to his game but those bits and pieces are going to come.

“I’ve no danger in seeing those bits and pieces come. He’ll go all the way.”

 

Meanwhile, Chris Smalling has revealed that he would like to negotiate a permanent transfer to Roma at the end of the season.

The defender has revived his career during his loan away from Manchester United this season, hugely impressing in 25 appearances in all competitions.

While Roma are eager to keep hold of him on a permanent basis, his form may have been almost too good – pricing them out of a potential move.

That had led to murmurs of interest from elsewhere in the Premier League, with Tottenham Hotspur and Everton both keen on signing the 30-year-old. Read more…

 

Related Articles

HAVE YOUR SAY IN OUR FORUM