Tottenham and Everton are reportedly pursuing a transfer for Uruguay international forward Diego Rossi this summer.
The Los Angeles FC forward is said to be available for around £10million, with both Premier League clubs looking to bolster their attacking ranks before the start of the new campaign. Indeed, Rossi is viewed very much as someone who could eventually push for a starting spot.
The report in the Daily Telegraph claims that Spurs are highly unlikely to sign loanee Carlos Vinicius permanently. That comes as no great surprise, given that the Brazilian was completely snubbed by Ryan Mason in the final games of the season.
The Telegraph adds that Rossi is viewed very much as a back-up for Harry Kane. But that would appear as wishful thinking on Tottenham’s part, as the England skipper eyes a summer exit.
As for Everton, they need another attacker to add to their frontline after they decided to release Josh King.
The former Bournemouth man signed a deal until the end of the season but has recently been let go.
In terms of what Rossi brings to the table, the 23-year-old is capable of playing anywhere across the front line.
Can England win it? - Planet Sport Euros Preview
Not long to go until England start their Euro 2020 campaign with a tough test against Croatia on Sunday. Mark Smith, Pete Farries and Scott Allen take a closer look at their strengths and weaknesses.
The attacker also notched an impressive 18 goals for Los Angeles FC last season and has proven to be a reliable MLS goalscorer.
The low asking price is said to be tempting both Spurs and the Toffees, two clubs who are currently without a manager.
Conte reveals reason for Tottenham snub
Meanwhile, Antonio Conte has revealed why he turned down the opportunity to manage Tottenham, when it looked like the former Inter Milan boss was ready to take the job.
The Italian delivered Inter’s first Serie A title for 11 years this past season. However, he quit just a few weeks later amid reports that he would be forced to sell some of his first-team stars to balance the books. The San Siro outfit are struggling financially due to the impact of the Coronavirus pandemic.
Conte had looked like completing a return to the Premier League, having previously led Chelsea to the title. He had discussions with Spurs but ultimately decided against a switch to north London.
Speaking to Gazzetta dello Sport about his reasons for turning the job down, Conte gave a short response.
He said: “Generally, I like challenges and I’ve accepted many of them during my career.
“Even the top clubs I coached were never the favourites when I arrived. However, if there’s something that doesn’t convince me I prefer not to accept, regardless of the money.”
There have been rumours that Conte was not promised major funds to improve the Spurs squad. Doubts over Harry Kane’s future also played a part in the decision.