Tottenham fail in talks to hijack Palace striker’s £20m Bundesliga move

Date published: Wednesday 16th September 2020 9:45

Tottenham have lost the race for Crystal Palace striker Alexander Sorloth, according to reports.

Sorloth has emerged as a strike target for Tottenham recently, with Jose Mourinho desperate to bring in another attacker.

“Yes, I want, I need a striker, but I want to make it very, very clear that the club – the structure above me – knows that I need a striker and also wants a striker,” Mourinho said before Tottenham’s first game of the season.

“Are we going to get one? I honestly believe so. For the balance of the squad, the team needs it because at this moment the squad is getting very balanced, with different options for different positions.

“We realise that more than ever we need that. So yes, we’re working on it.”

Their interest in Sorloth may come as a surprise to those familiar with his time at Crystal Palace, where he failed to score a Premier League goal across two half-seasons.

However, the Norwegian has redeemed himself out on loan at Trabzonspor recently. He won the Turkish Super Lig golden boot by netting 24 goals in 34 league games last season.

 

 

Sorloth remains on loan at Trabzonspor for another season, after which they have an obligation to buy, but that deal could be cut short. According to Football Insider, RB Leipzig are now close to hijacking the deal to sign him.

The website claims the Bundesliga side have agreed a fee of more than £20m to take Sorloth off Palace’s hands. The deal will see Palace more than double their money for the striker they originally brought in for £9m.

As confirmed by Trabzonspor’s president, though, Tottenham were also interested in the 24-year-old. Due to the Turkish side’s obligation to buy him, they also had a say in the transfer talks.

“Sorloth wants to go,” Ahmet Agaoglu said recently. “But every player who wants to go, there is no world we say OK.

“Leipzig are interested and we meet with Tottenham.”

Leipzig win the race

Alexander Sorloth

Spurs need cover for Harry Kane, and have so far been frustrated in their pursuits of the likes of Arkadiusz Milik and Patson Daka.

However, they have been beaten in their attempts to lure Sorloth back to London, with the striker now on his way to Leipzig instead.

The Champions League semi-finalists lost Timo Werner to Chelsea over the summer, while they didn’t take up their option to buy Patrik Schick, who went to Bayer Leverkusen instead.

Therefore, they have had an even greater need for a new striker, and it seems they have got their man.

 

Related Articles

HAVE YOUR SAY IN OUR FORUM