Reality check for Tottenham as five manager options all say no to Levy
Tottenham’s hunt to find a successor to Jose Mourinho has taken an apparent turn for the worse after four leading Italian options all reportedly turned their back on the opportunity.
Spurs are on the lookout for a new boss after the Portuguese tactician was sacked on April 19. It has not taken too long for the former Chelsea chief to find his next club as he will manage Roma from next season. And Tottenham were seemingly looking towards Serie A to fill their dugout during the 2021-2022 season and beyond.
The man at the top of their wanted list was talented Atalanta tactician Gian Piero Gasperini. Reports earlier this week claimed the 63-year-old had been sounded out by intermediaries working for Daniel Levy.
Gasperini has achieved miracles with Atalanta on a limited budget and that would fit the Tottenham mould. Levy has never been one to be too free with his spending and that looks set to continue.
However, TuttoMercatoWeb report that Gasperini has rejected that opportunity for two reasons. Firstly, the 63-year-old does not want to leave Bergamo for London and at ‘least not for Tottenham’.
Secondly, they report he is waiting to see what happens with the Juventus hotseat. With Andrea Pirlo a man under pressure, there are claims in the Italian media he could be subject of an approach from the Old Lady.
May 6 Transfer Chatter: Chelsea to raid PSG, Arsenal to offload trio and tug of war for Man Utd defender
It's Thursday Transfer Chatter with Jordan Simpson
Gasperini, however, isn’t the only Italian that Spurs were reported to have an interest in. As per Calciomercato, they also said to have made contact with Maurizio Sarri and Massimiliano Allegri. They too are also reported to have rejected the opportunity to speak with Spurs.
ESPN journalist Gabriele Marcotti, via Sport Witness, also claims Spurs were keeping ambitious tabs on Antonio Conte. The former Chelsea man has just steered Inter to the Scudetto. However, their prospects of luring him back to London are virtually nil. That line of enquiry is apparently null and void before it’s even gathered any momentum.
Subscribe for free to TEAMtalk’s daily newsletter…
Tottenham warned off Graham Potter
Brighton are “delighted” with head coach Graham Potter, according to chief executive Paul Barber, who will not allow him to leave if Tottenham come calling.
Potter is about to conclude his second season in charge of Brighton. He has got them playing some good football, even if their league position doesn’t reflect it. As such, his name has been mentioned in connection with the vacancy at Tottenham. His credentials have also been highlighted by former Spurs midfielder Danny Murphy.
However, Barber has warned Spurs not to waste their time making an approach.
“We have no desire whatsoever to lose Graham,” he told The Argus. “Graham is very happy here.
“We are delighted with the work he is doing. We are delighted with the work the staff around Graham are doing.
“As far as we are concerned there is absolutely no way we would allow Graham to leave at this time.”
READ MORE: Tottenham saving considerable sum in compensation after new Mourinho role