Tottenham armed with first offer as Southampton admit £35m man is for sale

Date published: Tuesday 9th June 2020 1:08

Pierre-Emile Hojbjerg TEAMtalk

Tottenham are ready to open the bidding for Pierre-Emile Hojbjerg after Southampton admitted they could sell the midfielder.

With his contract soon running into its final year it’s now understood that Saints will sell the Denmark international this summer after blocking his sale in January.

The Daily Star report that Spurs boss Jose Mourinho is pondering an offer for the 24-year-old with Everton also believed to be interested in the enforcer.

The central midfielder was interesting Tottenham in January, and Sky Sports reported that Spurs had made the Southampton captain one of their top targets for the summer.

Saints are believed to have placed a £35million valuation on Hojbjerg in the winter, which put off Mourinho, but now the south-coast club are open to selling one of their star men.

 

 

 

Chief executive Martin Semmens has opened the door to a deal.

He told BBC Solent: “He is that kind of character that under any circumstance he’ll give 100 per cent on the pitch.

“He’s fully committed to getting through this season and winning those nine games. When it comes to the transfer window, it’s a strange time.

“Let’s be clear about Pierre, he’s been absolutely up front with us and everybody publicly that he sees himself at the very highest level of football.

“He wants to win the league, he wants to win the Champions League either with us or somebody else and at some point he’s going to either have to drive us to that level or move somewhere else to do it.

“If there’s a club out there that can win the Champions League and they think Pierre can improve their team, if they can pay for him then, in the end, we have to let him go.”

Saints boss Ralph Hasenhuttl, who recently signed a new deal with the club, has previously claimed he was unperturbed about losing Hojbjerg and this week he hinted Hojbjerg’s time might be up at St Mary’s.

Hasenhuttl said: “We must look at what we have. I think we should avoid letting players go without a transfer fee. This is what we should avoid.”

Related Articles

HAVE YOUR SAY IN OUR FORUM