Tottenham target firms up future plans in risky move for current club

Date published: Tuesday 27th July 2021 9:59 - Samuel Bannister

Rafael Toloi, Lorenzo Insigne, Federico Chiesa, Italy celeb Euro 2020

Lorenzo Insigne looks set to disappoint Tottenham by moving into the final year of his contract with Napoli, according to reports in Italy.

Insigne has been a Napoli player for his entire professional career, only having left for some loan spells in his formative years. Now 30 years old, he has earned his place in their club folklore. However, they have been worrying about his time with them potentially ending.

Only one year remains on Insigne’s contract and the two parties are yet to come to an agreement. The club captain wants a payrise, whereas Napoli want him to lower his salary.

It has led to a delicate situation, which other clubs may seek to exploit. For example, Tottenham were said to have made an “important” offer recently after making contact with his agent.

Insigne was a key member of the Italy squad that won Euro 2020 and would make a good addition for Spurs. But they may not get to sign him after all.

A recent report listed the three solutions to the dilemma between Napoli and Insigne. Either they find a compromise and agree a new contract, he sees out his final year and leaves on a free in 2022, or they sell him now.

It has now emerged that the latter option is unlikely, with Insigne preferring to stay at his local club.

According to Gazzetta Dello Sport, the left winger does not want to leave Napoli this summer. Instead, he is set to stay – even if it remains unlikely he will have signed a new contract by the start of the season.

Insigne appears ready to make a compromise by remaining on his current wage package. But there are so far no talks scheduled between the club and his agent.

Therefore, it seems he will walk into the final months of his contract, which may be slightly risky from a financial point of view for Napoli, but certainly beneficial for them on the pitch.

Insigne will return to training with Napoli on August 5th after an extended break. It will be the beginning of the 10th consecutive season in his Napoli career. But it remains to be seen if it will be the last.

Tottenham tipped to snatch winger from Milan grasp

Spurs could instead initiate a tug of war with a different Serie A club to strengthen their wide areas, even though they have recently brought in Bryan Gil from Sevilla.

Tottenham are reportedly mulling over whether to battle with AC Milan over Rubin Kazan’s Khvicha Kvaratskhelia after the Italian club enquired about the 20-year-old.

The winger has caught the eye of some of Europe’s biggest names following impressive form last season. The youngster scored four times and assisted eight goals in 23 games as Rubin Kazan finished fourth in the Russian Premier League.

His international record is not bad either, netting three goals while assisting two more in his eight caps for Georgia.

There had been reports that Kvaratskhelia had entered negotiations with Milan. However, these were rubbished by Sky who said that the club had only simply asked about his availability.


Subscribe for free to TEAMtalk’s daily newsletter…


Rubin Kazan have valued their player at €18million (£15million), a figure Milan aren’t too sure on, the source adds.

It also said that Tottenham were interested in the services of Kvaratskhelia. There have been no reports of the London club making any official contact with Rubin Kazan over the wide man yet.

READ MOREHarry Kane taking notes as Erik Lamela outlines Tottenham exit reasons

Related Articles

HAVE YOUR SAY IN OUR FORUM