Townsend could play in Championship with Toon, says father
Andros Townsend’s father says the Newcastle winger could stay with the club in the Championship next season.
Townsend signed for the Magpies in January for £12million after failing to start a Premier League game for Tottenham and the 24-year-old showed Spurs what they were missing on Sunday.
He was superb in the St James’ Park thrashing of Tottenham has scored four times in 13 appearances for Newcastle, but he was unable to prevent the club from being relegated.
His form on Tyneside has been rewarded with a place in England’s 26-man Euro 2016 squad and with Danny Welbeck missing through injury, Townsend looks a good bet to add to his 10 caps in France.
A good showing from Townsend, who has scored three times for England, at the Euros could see plenty of offers for the Leytonstone-born wideman, but his father Troy says his son will stay on at St James’ Park.
Townsend’s dad Troy told BBC Five Live: “Newcastle could rise quickly and Andros looks forward to many more seasons with them.”
Townsend thought he had been substituted against Spurs on Sunday with fans affording him a standing ovation before he returned to the field.
His dad tweeted: “Still getting goosebumps from that standing ovation for the ‘wrong’ substitution and today’s news just adds to that pride!”
Earlier this month The Telegraph reported West Ham are planning a swoop for Townsend. The Hammers are believed to have been interested in the former QPR loanee in each of the last two transfer windows and they are expected to make a more determined assault this time round.
Townsend has an £8million relegation release clause in his Newcastle contract and he is also believed to be attracting interest from Southampton, who will play in the Europa League next season.
Squawka meanwhile claim that West Ham will make a double swoop for Townsend and Georginio Wijnaldum.