Paper Talk: £55m Arsenal target ready to sign but three players must go first

Date published: Thursday 24th September 2020 9:06

Mikel Arteta TEAMtalk

A top Arsenal target is ready to sign but three players must be offloaded first, while Man Utd have hit a stumbling block in their bid to sign Alex Telles, according to Thursday’s transfer gossip.

 

LYON STAR WANTS TO SEAL ARSENAL DEAL

Arsenal are reportedly preparing an improved offer for Houssem Aouar, with the player himself ready to join the club.

The Frenchman has emerged as one of two midfield targets for Mikel Arteta, alongside Atletico Madrid enforcer Thomas Partey.

The Express reports that the Gunners have already lodged a player-plus-cash offer for Aouar, which includes Matteo Guendouzi.

However, Lyon were not interested in that proposal, leaving Arsenal to reconsider their approach over a potential deal.

Aouar was outstanding as Lyon knocked Juventus and Manchester City out in the Champions League knockout stage.

Arteta has been aware of the midfielder’s quality since his days as City assistant boss, when he congratulated the player on his performance after a 2-2 draw in November 2018.

According to Fabrizio Romano, he is set to return with another offer for the player – if he can offload three players first.

“Obviously the club that is working to sign Aouar is Arsenal,” Romano said on the Here We Go podcast.

“We have to say that Arsenal are convinced that if they could sell some players, and they have many in [Sead] Kolasinac, Sokratis [Papastathopoulos] and [Lucas] Torreira, many players to sell or loan out in the last two weeks, they can try again for Aouar.

 

“Lyon are asking for €60million, so it’s complicated but the player would be ready to join the Premier League, would be ready to join Arsenal.

“The player would like to come to the Premier League and to join Arsenal but for now there are no negotiations.

“In July they offered Guendouzi as part of the deal and they didn’t find an agreement.

“Now it’s up to Arsenal if they sell players, I am convinced [they will bid again].”

Torreira has already agreed personal terms with Atletico ahead of a potential switch.

Bayer Leverkusen are said to be leading the way for Kolasinac, while Sokratis has been linked with a move to Italy.

 

MAN UTD HIT TELLES STUMBLING BLOCK

Alex Telles Porto

Manchester United have encountered a stumbling block in their transfer pursuit of Alex Telles – due to Jorge Mendes. (Daily Mirror)

Pep Lijnders has offered a clear hint both Thiago and Diogo Jota will make their full Liverpool debuts in the less than glamorous surroundings of Sincil Bank. (Daily Mirror)

Arsenal boss Mikel Arteta has admitted it is hard for outcast Mesut Ozil to barge his way into his plans at present. (Daily Star)

Manchester United could hand Jesse Lingard an unexpected contract extension at Old Trafford. (Daily Star)

Arsenal midfielder Mohamed Elneny could be set to leave the club, despite starting two of the Gunners’ three competitive fixtures so far this season. (Daily Star)

 

VILLA TARGET LOAN DEAL FOR CHELSEA MISFIT

Loftus Cheek Barkley TEAMtalk

Aston Villa’s head coach Dean Smith is weighing up a bid to sign Chelsea’s Ross Barkley on loan. (Daily Telegraph)

Porto left-back Alex Telles has signalled his determination to move to Manchester United, with the club still trying to drive down the €40m (£36.6m) release clause in his contract. (Daily Telegraph)

Premier League clubs are resigned to having to bail out the English Football League and are expected to impose strict conditions on a support package worth up to £250m to their lower-league counterparts. (Daily Telegraph)

David Moyes will manage West Ham’s match against Wolves remotely if he receives confirmation that he must continue to self-isolate. (Daily Telegraph)

Antonio Rudiger is set to leave Chelsea before the transfer window shuts after being left out of Frank Lampard’s squad for a second game in succession. (Daily Telegraph)

West Ham are ready to compete with Manchester United for Swansea City’s Wales centre-back Joe Rodon. (Guardian)

 

AND MORE GOSSIP

Arsenal are not giving up on signing Philippe Coutinho in this transfer window, with Mikel Arteta keen on the Barcelona star after his loan spell at Bayern Munich last season. (Daily Mirror)

Alaba, CoutinhoTEAMtalk

 

 

Roma are expected to make a second bid for Manchester United’s 30-year-old England centre-back Chris Smalling, who the Serie A side had on loan last season. (Guardian)

Manchester United could miss out on a staggering £111m in matchday income this season if fans are forced to stay away from Old Trafford. (The Sun)

Brazil World Cup legend Cafu expects James Rodriguez to be the star of the Premier League this season. (The Sun)

David Sullivan has warned West Ham may end the transfer window without any new additions. (Daily Mail)

UEFA are expected to announce that managers will be allowed to use five substitutes in this season’s Champions League and Europa League on Thursday, in a ruling that could put English clubs at a significant disadvantage. (Daily Mail)

Two of Steve Bruce’s senior Newcastle United medical staff have been stood down from their roles amid an internal investigation. (Daily Mail)

Manchester City defender Nicolas Otamendi is attracting interest from Porto and Inter Milan but the 32-year-old could yet be pushed into negotiations with Sevilla for Jules Kounde. (Daily Mail)

Burnley are in talks with Liverpool over a move for the Reds’ Wales winger Harry Wilson. (Independent)

Derek McInnes has admitted Aberdeen have under-sold Scott McKenna but is confident they will cash in when he gets to the Premier League. (Daily Record)

Neil Lennon admits Celtic aren’t immune from the horrendous damage extended ground closures could inflict on the game. (Daily Record)

 

Related Articles

HAVE YOUR SAY IN OUR FORUM