Manchester United are being made to wait over a deal for one of their star players, while Thomas Tuchel looks to have agreed his first signing as Chelsea manager, according to Monday’s transfer gossip.
BRUNO FERNANDES DELAYS ON NEW MAN UTD DEAL
Manchester United are being made to wait by Bruno Fernandes amid claims the star is refusing to sign a new deal with the club.
Few January acquisitions have made a bigger immediate impact in English football than the 26-year-old. He has flourished since joining United from Sporting Lisbon last year for an initial €55million (£46.6million).
The midfielder has scored 30 goals and grabbed 18 assists in 55 games in all competitions and has been the major driving force in United’s return to title contention.
As a result of his sensational form, United have opened talks over a new deal that would earn the Portuguese star a payrise.
However, with just over four years left on the arrangement he signed with United, Fernandes is in no hurry to extend his stay.
As per The Athletic, via the Daily Express, Fernandes wants to first see how this season pans out. United haven’t win a trophy since 2017 and Fernandes wants to see if that wait can end this season.
While United have made good progress under Ole Gunnar Solskjaer, Fernandes wants United to become trophy winners, not just challengers. It’s claimed only winning a trophy this season would convince him to sign an extension.
United’s title bid looks to have faded away after dropping plenty of points lately. Despite thrashing Southampton, they have dropped seven points in games with Sheffield United, Arsenal and Everton.
Fernandes scathing in United criticism
Fernandes did not hold back either in the wake of Saturday’s 3-3 draw with the Toffees.
“There are a lot of things to be disappointed with,” he said.
“We were making so many mistakes in the last few games and we can’t keep conceding goals like that.
“We have to be more focused, we have to have the same desire to score and to defend our goal.
“Every time we have to make goals and score goals it has to be the same to not concede and I think we have to learn from this.
“It has already happened a lot of times so it is more than a bit disappointing.
“You talk about everything that is going on but it is about learning and make it better.”
On Calvert-Lewin’s late goal, he added: “It is really bad and you can’t concede goals like that. We have to be more focused and we have to be ready and we have to be more stronger.”
CHELSEA REACH BOATENG AGREEMENT
Chelsea have reached an agreement to sign Bayern Munich defender Jerome Boateng this summer. (Todofijaches)
Crystal Palace boss Roy Hodgson is expecting interest in Wilfried Zaha in the summer, with the winger having ambitions of playing in the Champions League. (Daily Mail)
Southampton boss Ralph Hasenhuttl is feeling the strain after his side lost at Newcastle. (Daily Mail)
Leeds midfielder Mateusz Klich admits he is still pinching himself he is playing Premier League football. (Daily Mail)
Fans have taken to social media to compare Alisson Becker with Loris Karius after his two costly errors helped Manchester City emerge victorious at Anfield. (Daily Mail)
JADON SANCHO TRANSFER LATEST
Borussia Dortmund chiefs expect Jadon Sancho to leave this summer with Manchester United still keen on the forward. (Daily Mirror)
Ole Gunnar Solskjaer faces one of his biggest tests as Manchester United boss over blunder goalkeeper David de Gea. (Daily Mirror)
Mikel Arteta insists his Arsenal side make too many mistakes to mount a top-four challenge. (Daily Mirror)
Tanguy Ndombele has conceded he had to change if he wanted to succeed with Tottenham in the Premier League. (Daily Telegraph)
West Ham are set to win their appeal over Tomas Soucek’s red card at Fulham after Mike Dean was told by his bosses at PGMOL he was wrong to send him off. (The Sun)
AND MORE TRANSFER GOSSIP
VAR is proving nothing short of farcical, 18 months after its introduction – says ex-referee Mark Halsey. (The Sun)
Manchester City boss Pep Guardiola has revealed keeper Ederson could be their new penalty taker. (The Sun)
England football legend Paul Gascoigne has revealed he has quit social media – after becoming addicted to it. (The Sun)
David Beckham has sunk another £11.2m to increase his stake in Inter Miami. (The Sun)
Michael Ballack has urged Chelsea to be patient with Kai Havertz despite the German’s slow start to life in the Premier League. (Daily Star)