Atletico Madrid and England defender Kieran Trippier has been banned for 10 weeks and fined £70,000 for breaching betting rules, the Football Association has announced.
The 30-year-old’s worldwide ban from all football and football-related activity will run until February 28.
Trippier denied the charges, first made in May, and had a personal hearing in October.
However, the FA said that four of seven alleged breaches had been proven with three others dismissed.
An FA spokesperson said: “The Atletico Madrid defender denied seven alleged breaches of FA rule E8(1)(b), which were said to occur during July 2019, and requested a personal hearing.
“An independent regulatory commission was appointed to hear the case, with four of the alleged breaches found proven and three dismissed during a subsequent personal hearing.
“The independent regulatory commission’s written reasons for its decisions and the associated sanction will be published in due course.”
Trippier’s ban takes force with immediate effect.
The full-back played in Tuesday’s win over Real Sociedad, but he will not now feature for Atletico now until after March 3.
The suspension will rule Trippier out of at least 14 matches for Atletico, including the first leg of their Champions League last-16 tie against Chelsea on February 23.
However he will be eligible for the second leg on March 17.
The offences took place in July 2019 around the time that the former Burnley defender completed his move from Tottenham to Atletico for a fee in the region of £20m.
In a statement issued when he was first charged in May, Trippier said: “I want to make it clear that while a professional footballer, I have at no stage placed any football related bets or received any financial benefit from others betting.”
Only last week reports in Spain claimed Manchester United were “pushing hard” to sign Kieran Trippier from Atletico.
However, it is warned that Atletico are in no hurry to get rid of Trippier, who has established himself as a key player for Diego Simeone this season.
Trippier has been ever-present for Atleti, who are currently joint-top of La Liga with two games in hand. Therefore, it would be tough to prise him away.
But that’s what United are trying to do, according to various sources. The Red Devils want to strengthen their options at right-back.
Trippier is a major target given that he has plenty of Premier League experience from his time with Burnley and Tottenham. He would also offer a greater attacking threat than United’s current option, Aaron Wan-Bissaka.
Hence, AS claim that United are “pushing hard” for the full-back. However, Atletico have “cleared” any lingering doubts they had about the 30-year-old. He is not for sale.