Borussia Dortmund’s desire to sign Jude Bellingham is the “largest hint to date” that Jadon Sancho will be allowed to leave this summer, according to a bizarre report.
Last week it was reported United tried to sign the former Man City man last summer, but because they missed out on the Champions League they signed Daniel James from Swansea instead.
This summer United executive vice-chairman Ed Woodward wants to get his man and the Manchester Evening News report that £100m-rated Sancho “ticks every box imaginable” for the club.
The 19-year-old’s profile fits with what United are trying to build at Old Trafford. He is young, a marquee name and one of the best young talents in the game.
Woodward also wants to sign the teenager because of his stature as a home-grown talent, even though he came through the ranks across the city at Manchester City.
Sancho has been sensational for Dortmund since joining the Bundesliga side in the summer of 2018.
The England international has scored 14 goals and registered 15 assists in the Bundesliga this season before the campaign was brought to a halt.
And although links to Chelsea, Liverpool, Real Madrid and Barcelona have emerged, a claim in the Daily Mirror says that Dortmund’s extra push to sign Bellingham is the clearest indicator that an exit for Sancho is on.
Bellingham is the next big thing to emerge in the English game and reports on Sunday indicated that Borussia Dortmund’s offer was significantly more than United’s for the 16-year-old.
The Mirror writes: ‘Dortmund – who gazumped Old Trafford bigwig Ed Woodward in the race for Erling Braut Haaland – are bursting a gut to land Bellingham amid rumours that a nine-figure deal for Jadon Sancho is already done.
‘That will represent a stonking profit for the former European Champions but leaves them light of a playmaker.
‘Given their previous experience of taking talent and giving it licence to perform at the highest level, they are pulling out all the stops to ensure Bellingham’s next port of call is in the Ruhr Valley.’
Perhaps most significantly, the report adds: ‘It is, however, good news for the Red Devils who have made Sancho their long-time target and is the largest hint to date that that the Old Trafford power-brokers have landed their man.’
And while this could be a classic case of 2+2=5, the Mirror’s claims will raise hopes that United could yet win the race to sign Sancho, with the Daily Star also going big on the story.
John Terry back Sancho for Dorrtmund
Reports, however, have indicated that Chelsea are also strongly in the hunt to sign Sancho with doubts emerging over the long-term futures of wingers Willian and Pedro.
Terry said: “I think the young lads have shown their potential.
“We spoke at the start of the season about the likes of Tammy Abraham and Mason Mount coming into the squad and they’ve shown that they’re capable of playing.
“But, listen, I think Sancho is probably one of the best young players in the world at the moment. So he’d be a great addition to Chelsea’s squad and obviously make us better as well.”