Napoli president Aurelio De Laurentiis has admitted that Liverpool target Lorenzo Insigne could be sold this summer.
Italian website La Repubblica, as quoted by Sport Witness, also reported earlier in the year how Klopp’s side had seen a massive €70million (£61m) bid for the Serie A sensation rejected in January, but that he remained on their radar ahead of a possible summer swoop.
All along though Napoli and De Laurentiis insisted the attacker was off the market.
“He is not on the market, I have not registered interest in Insigne,” the club’s president said. “He is an extraordinary, attractive player, there are few like him,” said De Laurentiis in March.
Things have changed though and speaking to the media on Wednesday during an event at the Italian parliament, De Laurentiis was asked about Insigne and Allan: “If we receive offers that can allow us to replace them then we can talk about it. If not, if we receive offers in the last 10 days of the transfer window then it’s not possible anymore.”
The 28-year-old, who is under contract until 2022, also revealed recently that he was looking for a renewal in the south of Italy, but De Laurentiis’ comments may now see him have a change of heart.
“A contract renewal? I’m waiting for the president,” Insigne told Sky Sport Italia in May. “For my part there’s maximum availability. We both want to move forward together. I hope that the signing of the contract will come soon.
Klopp is understood to be looking to tweak his squad this summer and may look to add another forward to his ranks with Daniel Sturridge leaving.
The German will step Rhian Brewster up into the first-team picture and reports have suggested that Klopp, who tried to sign no.10 Nabil Fekir last summer, could look to replace Xherdan Shaqiri.
Insigne, who has a €100million release clause, hit 14 goals and claimed six assists in 41 games for Napoli last season.