Atletico Madrid have denied that Manchester United are set to make a move for defender Diego Godin, a report claims.
Sky Sports News claimed earlier on Thursday that United had made an official enquiry over Godin, who has a release clause of £18m (€20m).
However, Sky’s Fraiser Dainton has now issued an update on the situation, instead claiming that the Uruguay international is in the process of signing a new deal.
“This gives you an idea of how fast things move on Deadline Day,” he said.
“We told you in the last hour that contact had been made by Manchester United to Atletico Madrid about Uruguay defender Diego Godin.
“However, I’ve had it confirmed by a source that contact was made but they also tell me that the interest was rebuffed immediately because Godin is in the process of signing a new contract.
“There’s been no official word from Atletico Madrid, as far as I’m aware, about that new contract being signed yet but given the fact he’s been an Atletico for eight years the likelihood of him leaving Spain is pretty slim.”
Fancy the best United news direct to your Facebook timeline? Like our dedicated Manchester Utd Facebook page.