Contrary to Klopp’s belief, Van Dijk has Euros on his mind

Date published: Monday 15th March 2021 2:41 - Matthew Briggs

Virgil van Dijk TEAMtalk

Contrary to Jurgen Klopp’s belief, Virgil van Dijk has most definitely not ruled himself out of this summer’s European Championships, claims a report in the Netherlands.

Speaking about Van Dijk, Joe Gomez and Joel Matip Klopp effectively ruled out their inclusion at the Euros, which starts on June 11.

Klopp said on Saturday: “It is not my decision but to be honest the information I have at the moment is that it will be unlikely,” said Klopp of any potential summer international involvement.

“So (it’s) not that I don’t let them go, because I don’t want to have to do that anyway, it is because of the extent of the injuries.

“We all hope they will be ready to start pre-season with us, that’s what we all hope. With Joel it is pretty much the same.”

Van Dijk though has “anything but put this summer’s European Championship out of his mind”, reports De Telegraaf.

The Dutch outlet insist that the centre-back, who is continuing his rehabilitation following an ACL injury suffered at Everton in October, has his thoughts on the tournament.

The report says Van Dijk does “not want to make a decision about participation until later this season,” and that he is certainly not ruled out.

Klopp alluded to the fact that he will not stop Van Dijk going to the tournament. In fact the Reds’ boss cannot block Van Dijk’s passage to the 24-team tournament.

De Telegraaf insist “there is a good relationship between the player and Klopp and the Dutchman will not do ill-considered things”.

But Van Dijk’s recovery is all very positive and the 29-year-old is slowly building up his strength and  conditioning.

He will be desperate to get back as soon as possible and Holland do have a training camp at the end of May in preparation for the one-month tournament.

 

 

The Netherlands are then in action on June 13 for their first group game against Ukraine, before further meetings with Austria (June 17) and North Macedonia (June 21).


Subscribe for free to TEAMtalk’s daily newsletter…


Jota payment on horizon

Meanwhile, Liverpool will pay Wolves £12million for their next instalment in the deal which took Diogo Jota to Anfield last September, a report claims.

The Daily Telegraph reports that the Reds have only paid £5million of the potential £45million deal so far.

The Anfield club paid £4million up front and a further £1million in December. As such, they will step up their payments with a £12million sum at the end of the season.

The newspaper reports that both clubs agreed to the flexible terms of the transfer due to the coronavirus pandemic.

Therefore, Wolves’ £12million injection will prove a boon given a season with a decline in revenue due to a lack of fans.

What’s more, Wolves‘ flexibility persuaded Liverpool to move for Jota ahead of their other attacking targets.

READ MORE: Club chief swings West Ham door wide open for Liverpool-dreaming Austrian

 

 

Related Articles

HAVE YOUR SAY IN OUR FORUM