Werder Bremen sporting director Frank Baumann says he is in “good talks” with Manchester United about a deal to sign youngster Tahith Chong.
Baumann confirmed earlier this week that 20-year-old Chong could be an “interesting” target for the club this summer.
The Dutchman has struggled for game time at Old Trafford despite having a stronger presence around the first team this season.
Indeed, while he was on the bench for both Europa League games versus LASK, he did not feature in a Premier League squad for the Red Devils since the restart in June.
Pressed on his side’s interest in a more recent interview, Baumann confirmed that talks are progressing about a deal.
Baumann also hit out at the player’s agent, who abruptly confirmed his client’s interest in a move to the Bundesliga.
“[Chong] is a player who is interesting for us, no question about it,” he told reporters (via Goal).
“We need a player like him in the position he plays. We are in good talks with Manchester United, but there are several details to be agreed on.
“I like to keep a low profile when it comes to something like this, but when the player’s advisor communicates so aggressively, there is no point in denying our interest.”
Chong came off the bench in Wednesday’s 2-1 win over LASK in the second leg against the Austrian side.
Despite signing a new two-year deal earlier this year, though, the player has only made 12 senior appearances this campaign.
What’s more, United boss Ole Gunnar Solskjaer has only included him in four Premier League squads.
LINGARD ALSO ON THE WAY OUT?
Meanwhile, reports elsewhere claim United are also looking to offload midfielder Jesse Lingard.
The England international has lost his way this season, his chances hampered by Bruno Fernandes’ arrival.
Indeed, his only Premier League goal this season came on the final day against Leicester.