West Ham fight back twice as topsy-turvy Brighton clash ends in draw

Date published: Sunday 27th December 2020 4:07 - Jonny Whitfield

Tomas Soucek

West Ham fought back after conceding twice to claim a 2-2 draw in a topsy-turvy clash with Brighton at the London Stadium.

Neal Maupay‘s opener after 44 minutes was Brighton’s reward for their positive play against a West Ham side devoid of creativity.

Hammers boss David Moyes‘ substitutes helped his side equalise and after Brighton went back in front from a corner, the hosts showed their prowess from set pieces to snatch a point.

The game had a lively opening, with Danny Welbeck and Maupay looking sharp. West Ham, meanwhile, had three quickfire corners with Welbeck clearing away the final effort.

But neither side mustered a shot on target for over 20 minutes, with the Hammers sitting back with their defensive midfield of Tomas Soucek, Declan Rice and Mark Noble.

Unsurprisingly, Brighton had the first effort on goal but Lukasz Fabianski easily saved Adam Webster’s header.

The visitors kept coming though and got their reward when Maupay slotted home.

Neal Maupay, Dan Burn

Solly March and Dan Burn combined down the left to drill the ball into Maupay, who tried to tee up Leandro Trossard. But after the ball span off a number of Hammers defenders, Maupay elected to hit it on the spin past Fabianski.

West Ham boss David Moyes looked to add more creativity at half time, with Manuel Lanzini and Andriy Yarmolenko coming on for Noble and Jarrod Bowen.

Both players offered instant impacts, looking to get on the ball and get the hosts forward. Indeed, they played a vital role in helping the Hammers equalise on the hour mark.

Yarmolenko’s skill allowed him time to send a cross into the box and, after a scramble, Johnson waited patiently for the ball to roll back out before lifting the ball into the top-right corner for his first Hammers goal.

Ben Johnson, Aaron Cresswell

West Ham fight back for point

Brighton‘s record would have made it understandable for the Seagulls to concede a second and lose. However, captain Lewis Dunk made it 2-1 after smashing the ball into the roof of the net from a corner.

Indeed, it was crucial that they grabbed their second as, in the topsy-turvy manner of the second half, Soucek equalised for West Ham.

Their second also came from a corner, with the midfielder free to head home after poor marking and a poor defensive effort from Ben White.

With five minutes to go, West Ham looked to push forward and claim a late winner. But aware that they may well have dropped two points, Brighton were happy to settle for a point.

Related Articles