West Ham may have already identified the man they want to replace Sebastien Haller, according to reports emerging from France.
It was claimed on Thursday afternoon that the Hammers have accepted a bid from Ajax for Haller. The forward has failed to replicate the hot goalscoring form that convinced them to make him their record signing back in 2019.
Therefore, it looks as though they have decided to cut their losses and move him on this month. They have reportedly accepted a £20million offer, less than half of the £45million paid not yet 18 months ago.
Dutch media say that Haller’s switch to Amsterdam is not yet complete, although it is expected to go through.
And David Moyes seems to be wasting no time in brining in another frontman, with Reims’ Boulaye Dia said to be on their radar.
That is according to Le10 Sport (via Sport Witness), who say Dia is a ‘hot track’ for West Ham this month.
The Senegalese international has started the season in impressive style, bagging 10 goals in 16 games.
His form has attracted interest from elsewhere in Ligue 1 as a result with Reims ‘expecting’ offers. But the report adds that West Ham would be able to outbid those other interested clubs.
Hammers ‘on trail’ of Lyon star
But a separate story on Sport Witness, which cites French reporter Loïc Tanzi, argues the Hammers have their eyes on a different striker in France.
He says they could make an ambitious swoop for Lyon’s Moussa Dembele, previously linked with Manchester United and Tottenham Hotspur.
He drew many plaudits last year after hitting 24 goals in 46 appearances. However, his form has faltered in 2020/21, managing just one goal in 16 games.
That has impacted his game time, with manager Rudi Garcia dropping him to the bench. Dembele is also currently out injured with a fractured arm and isn’t expected to return until next month.
The report speculates that could bring his price tag down somewhat, although it would still be quite a coup.