West Ham make new forward bid but may sell Sakho
West Ham are reported to have made a second offer for Toulouse forward Martin Braithwaite that could trigger the sale of Diafra Sakho sale to Sunderland.
West Ham are determined to make at least one high-profile signing this summer and made a £24million offer for a striker in France earlier this month, according to the club’s co-owner David Sullivan. Marseille’s Michy Batshuayi and Lyon’s Alexandre Lacazette have both been linked.
The Hammers also failed with a £25million double bid for Bournemouth’s Callum Wilson and Matt Ritchie, while Liverpool striker Christian Benteke is another player reported to be on the east London club’s radar.
Now, according to the Mail on Sunday, they have made a new offer of £3million for Braithwaite, who was promised he would be allowed to leave Toulouse should be help keep the club in Ligue 1.
The 24-year-old did exactly that, scoring his 12th goal of the season on the final day in a 3-2 win over Angers which saw Toulouse survive by a point.
His representative Mark McKay of ExcelFoot said: “Martin has fulfilled his part of the promise he made to Toulouse and now wants to take his career to the next level in the Premier League. It is an exciting opportunity for him.”
Sunderland had also been linked with Braithwaite, who can play on the left as well as through the middle, but the Mail on Sunday says they will instead make a £10million offer for Sakho should the Denmark international move to the Olympic Stadium.
Sam Allardyce was at West Ham when they signed Sakho from Metz in 2014 and is said to be keen on a reunion with a player that has since scored 19 goals in 49 appearances but fell out with Slaven Bilic earlier this year.
The Hammers, meanwhile, have also submitted a formal offer to Paris Saint-Germain right-back Gregory van der Wiel, who is out of contract at the end of June and has also been approached by Roma and Monaco.