West Ham planning swoop for Liverpool target to ease crisis in key area

Date published: Thursday 5th December 2019 6:50

Ugurcan Cakir TEAMtalk

West Ham are planning a January raid for Trabzonspor goalkeeper Ugurcan Cakir to ease their current crisis between the sticks, according to reports.

The Hammers have lost first-choice Lukasz Fabianski to a hip injury and the Pole is set to be out for a while longer after undergoing surgery.

To add to that, second-choice stopper Roberto was drafted in by boss Manuel Pellegrini but he did not make the cut, with West Ham’s form continuing to slide with him in goal.

As such, David Martin – signed on a free transfer from Millwall in the summer – is currently playing but according to Turkish news outlet Aksam, Pellegrini is planning on signing Cakir in January to provide much-needed cover and competition to Fabianski once he is back fit.

The source says that West Ham’s sporting director Mario Husillos, as well as goalkeeping coach Xavi Valero, have agreed to sanction the move.

It is also claimed that despite Martin impressing by keeping a clean sheet on his debut against Chelsea, he is not seen as a long-term option by Pellegrini or the West Ham hierarchy.

The latest claim comes after Cakir’s agent confirmed that Liverpool were among four English clubs tracking the two-time Turkey international.

“Liverpool are one of four English sides keeping close tabs on Ugurcan,” Engin Kirkpinar said.

“Liverpool are among the sides interested in Cakir and have been monitoring his progress.”

Cakir has made 19 appearances for Trabzonspor so far this season, conceding 25 goals and keeping only the one clean sheet.

 

 

In other West Ham transfer news, Hellas Verona have reportedly put a €15m starting valuation on midfielder Sofyan Amrabat, who it is claimed is attracting interest from the Hammers and London rivals Tottenham.

Tuttomercatoweb reports that alongside the two Premier League clubs, Napoli have also registered interest and have seen an offer of €10m plus €2m in bonuses rejected by the Serie A side.

As such, Hellas have decided to tell interested clubs that nothing less than €15m will be considered for Amrabat’s services.

It is not clear whether any of the interested parties intends to submit a bid in January.

 

 

Related Articles

HAVE YOUR SAY IN OUR FORUM