Youssef En-Nesyri has ended West Ham’s chances of signing him this month by confirming he wants to stay at Sevilla.
The Moroccan striker is one of the many names to have been linked with West Ham since they sold Sebastien Haller to Ajax earlier this month.
David Moyes wants to sign a replacement for Haller, as he now has very few options to work with up front.
Reports recently suggested they had failed with a bid for En-Nesyri, who was a Europa League winner last season. There were then rumours they would go back in with a higher bid.
However, even if they meet the asking price, it seems unlikely they will be able to land the Sevilla star.
The 23-year-old scored a hat-trick on Saturday against Cadiz in La Liga, further demonstrating his quality.
And after the game, he delivered a hammer blow to any hopes of a transfer to the Premier League.
“For now I’m staying at Sevilla, I’m going nowhere,” he said (via Sport Witness). “I want to finish the year here, it’s a great club and I want to be here.”
That means West Ham will have to turn their attention elsewhere if they are to bring a new striker in before the transfer window closes shortly.
Solutions from within?
If they do not bring a new player in, they will have to be creative with their other options. For example, in their win over Doncaster in the FA Cup on Saturday, Andriy Yarmolenko started up front.
The Ukraine international marked his appearance with a goal, and assistant manager Alan Irvine said he could be an option there more often.
Irvine said: “He is another answer. It was good to see him play there.
“He has done it for Ukraine in the past. We know his talent.”