West Ham poised to make audacious bid for Barcelona forward

Date published: Monday 28th December 2020 1:22 - Isaac Johnson

West Ham United are poised to table a bid for a Barcelona attacker that has spent less than a year at the club next month, a report has claimed.

Martin Braithwaite signed with Barcelona in February after paying Leganes his €18million (£16million) release clause amid a striker crisis.

It was expected that the forward would only be a temporary fixture before being sold on again.

However, the Dane has enjoyed his time at the Nou Camp and is currently a first-team regular.

The forward has scored five times in 15 games for his club so far this season.

Nevertheless, Spanish news outlet Sport has stated that West Ham are “ready” go in for him next month.

 

 

Barcelona are languishing in fifth in La Liga and could well hunt for a new frontman in the winter transfer market.

However, even if they do, Sport Witness says it is unlikely the Hammers would get their man.

Braithwaite is contracted to Barcelona until 2024 and has every intention staying on.

It says the former Middlesbrough man wants to stay with the Spanish giants until at least the summer.

Indeed, manager Ronald Koeman is quite fond of the 29-year-old.


Subscribe for free to TEAMtalk’s daily newsletter…


Chelsea set sights on Rice

Meanwhile, West Ham will have to do battle closer to home, this time to keep one of their own.

Chelsea are reportedly gearing up to lure Declan Rice across London.

In fact, club director Marina Granovskaia has reportedly stated that the Blues hierarchy will only sanction one transfer in January – and that one would be for Rice.

It is mooted that they would be willing to pay more than £50million for the midfielder.

The Stamford Bridge outfit were pursuing him during the summer but a move never materialised.

Rice was formerly part of Chelsea’s youth system but was ultimately released.

Read more…

 

Related Articles

HAVE YOUR SAY IN OUR FORUM