Paris-Saint Germain have reportedly emerged as new suitors to sign Liverpool midfielder Georginio Wijnaldum.
The Anfield contract rebel has been heavily linked with Barcelona. The LaLiga giants showed interest in the 29-year-old this summer but the impact of the pandemic restricted their finances.
Ronald Koeman admitted he would be keen to get his fellow countryman on board at the Camp Nou. And it remains a distinct possibility that Barca land Wijnaldum on a free transfer in the summer.
Speaking to Sky Sports last month, the Netherlands international stressed that there remains a lack of clarity over his future.
“There is no update yet,” he said. “I also think I’m not the one who should give the update.
“The club should do that. So if there is an update, the club will give it.”
More recently, reports have named Inter Milan as a potential suitor.
Sheffield Utd v Liverpool Match Preview, February 28, 2021
A look ahead to the Premier League game between Sheffield Utd and Liverpool, including stats on form, possession, shots, cards, corners, top scorers and previous meetings.
Now though French outlet Le Parisien claim Barca have been joined by Paris-Saint Germain in the hunt for the midfielder.
They suggest that the player could be left with a mega deal as two of Europe’s big guns put offers together for the former Newcastle man.
Wijnaldum, 30, joined Liverpool in 2016 after making a £25m switch from Newcastle and he has been a model of consistency.
He has become one of Jurgen Klopp’s trusted senior players and the German is keen to keep him. However, contract talks have hit an impasse.
The Anfield moneymen have not been able to agree a new deal and Fabrizio Romano has claimed the situation is “complicated.”
The Merseysiders offered him a new contract back in December but he has yet to put pen to paper.
What is clear is that Wijnaldum, who has made over 200 appearances in all competitions for the champions, will cost a small fortune to replace if he moves on.
Salah has run out of steam at Liverpool, says Okocha
Meanwhile, Jay-Jay Okocha says Mohamed Salah’s time is up at Liverpool and has urged the African star to join Barcelona.
The 28-year-old was a huge part of their 2019 Champions League win and plundered 19 goals to help the Reds win the Premier League last season.
His overall record at Anfield is hugely impressive. The Egypt forward has scored 118 goals in 187 games for Liverpool, including 24 this season.
Salah has managed a level of form at Anfield which has surpassed all expectation after his £34m move from Serie A.
That has led to links with Spain’s two big clubs Real Madrid and Barcelona. And the forward did little to quell the talk in December when he refused to rule out a transfer to Spain.
Okocha though believes it is time for Salah to test himself in LaLiga.
“If there is a chance to join Barcelona, I advise Salah to go there. His energy has run out with Liverpool,” Okocha told ONTime Sports, as per Kingfut.