Club giving mixed messages as Tottenham tipped to revive striker interest

Date published: Monday 30th November 2020 3:51 - Samuel Bannister

The managing director of Wolfsburg has hinted that Wout Weghorst could leave the club in January after links with Tottenham.

Weghorst has started the season in fine form for the Bundesliga club. He has scored six goals from eight starts in the German top flight this season so far.

However, he could have been playing his football somewhere else had a summer transfer gone through. Tottenham were heavily linked with the striker over the summer.

Spurs were on the lookout for a deputy to Harry Kane. They eventually chose to sign Carlos Vinicius from Benfica on loan, with the Brazilian showing promise in the Europa League but featuring little in the Premier League.

Weghorst was a major alternative to Vinicius before that deal went through. In fact, the Wolfsburg striker admitted last month that Tottenham’s interest in him was “serious”.

A report from SportBuzzer speculates that Weghorst could be the subject of transfer speculation again in January – mentioning Tottenham as still being a potential suitor.

Spurs continue to be linked with a number of strikers for 2021, even though they have Vinicius to provide competition until the end of the season. Weghorst could be another option if they feel they need an extra man up front.

The report (via Sport Witness) suggests that Wolfsburg will ask for at least €30m for his signature. However, the Bundesliga side are giving mixed messages over the availability of the 28-year-old.

 


Subscribe for free to TEAMtalk’s daily newsletter…


Offers could be considered

Wolfsburg’s managing director Jörg Schmadtke has said: “We hold the reins in our hands. Then we tip the scales and decide whether or not.

“We have always said: If there is a reasonable offer that Wout also considers interesting, then we will sit down and discuss it. That’s how we discussed it when he renewed his contract.

“But everyone knows that I don’t like doing transfers in winter!”

Weghorst remains under contract with Wolfsburg until 2023, after signing an extension last summer.

READ MORE: Mourinho explains what Vinicius needs to do to get more PL minutes

 

Related Articles

HAVE YOUR SAY IN OUR FORUM