Man Utd executive vice-chairman Ed Woodward recently spoke at length regarding the club’s transfer policy that allowed them to secure the prize signature of Bruno Fernandes, but admitted there is still plenty of work left to do before they can challenge for major titles again.
Man Utd legend and outspoken pundit Gary Neville described Woodward’s transfer record with the side as unforgiveable, while the 48-year-old saw his home come under attack last month after alleged fans filmed themselves throwing flares onto his property.
However, with Utd pulling through in their quest to snap up Sporting Lisbon’s Bruno Fernandes along with the last-gasp capture of Odion Ighalo on a six-month loan, hopes are high once more than Utd can usurp Chelsea and secure champions League qualification via the top four.
Now, speaking on the club’s transfer policy and where they currently sit as a club, Woodward said (via the Manchester Evening News): “The signing of Bruno Fernandes and return of key players from injury will be a boost to Ole and the squad as we head into the second half of the season.
“We remain in contention in the Europa League and the FA Cup, as well as for Champions League qualification, so there is still lots to play for.
“However, as a club and a board, we do recognise that we are not yet where we want to be.
“It is the overwhelming priority of everyone at the club to get us back to regularly challenging for Premier League and Champions League titles.
“Although progress may not always be smooth, everyone across the club is focused and committed on playing their part in helping achieve those aims.”
Regarding the signing of Fernandes, Woodward revealed that the club were only targeting players in January who they had already enquired about in a previous window.
“Our focus is on bringing in a combination of experience and the best young players with potential to develop further, fusing graduates from our academy with high-quality acquisitions,” said Woodward.
“Our recruitment process focuses on analysis and selection of players over the course of a season, with a view to the following summer transfer window. As part of the rebuild we see this coming summer as an important opportunity.
“We had consistently taken the view that – because January is not an optimal time in terms of availability of players – we would only buy in January if players we had already targeted for the summer became available and we were pleased that this strategy played out with the signing of Bruno Fernandes.
“Bruno Fernandes and the players we brought last summer are evidence that our process is the right one.
“There has been no shortage of investment in players over the past few years, with over £200m spent since Ole became manager.
“Our aim is to ensure that we continue to achieve consistency in quality of recruitment.”
Meanwhile, Red Devils scouts reportedly watched a £30m-rated striker on Saturday, with the belief being that he could be the long-term replacement for Odion Ighalo once the Nigerian’s loan spell expires in the summer.