Yorke says Bruno is Man Utd’s best player and issues him a challenge

Date published: Thursday 14th January 2021 8:04

Dwight Yorke has challenged Bruno Fernandes to convert his brilliant personal form into silverware at Manchester United.

Fernandes has been one of the best United signings in recent years after his arrival last January from Sporting Lisbon for £68m.

His goals fired United to a third-placed finish last term and he has been just as influential this season.

The Portugal schemer has scored 11 goals and grabbed seven assists in 17 games and has already turned himself into folk hero at Old Trafford.

Former striker Yorke is held in similar regard by United fans after his part in the Treble season in 1999. And the former Aston Villa man wants Fernandes to go on and inspire United to their first trophy since 2017.

Yorke told Sky Sports: “He has come in and really lifted the team in a really massive way. Ole deserves a lot of credit for recognising such a player to bring in.

“What he has brought to the team has been second to none. He has been consistent and a star performer week in, week out, and has mobilised the team and given them an energy which was lacking earlier on in the campaign.

“He is undoubtedly one of the best players there, if not the best player there at this present time, but there is no point being the best player if you don’t go on to win things at Manchester United.

 

“You are always going to be judged by the fact you have won things.

“They got to three semi-finals last season and they have got to another semi-final this year and not got over the line. So time is ticking in terms of that and in terms of the results.

“It is not very often that you get to those kinds of positions and he now needs to convert those into trophies – that will be the next steps.

“In terms of where he (Solskjaer) has the team at the moment, every Manchester United fan will be singing with a lot of joy. It is not something we have been able to do in recent times so this is a very good time for the football club and the fans around the world.”

Fosu-Mensah leaves United

Meanwhile, Manchester United defender Timothy Fosu-Mensah has joined Bundesliga outfit Bayer Leverkusen for £1.75million.

The 23-year-old left the Ajax youth set-up to link up with the Red Devils in 2014. He went onto play 30 times in all competitions for the first team after making his senior debut in February 2016.

Fosu-Mensah made nine of those appearances under Ole Gunnar Solskjaer, having recovered from an anterior cruciate ligament injury that kept him out for much of the 2019/20 campaign.

But the Holland international has not appeared since the 3-2 loss at RB Leipzig on December 8.

Fosu-Mensah has now signed a deal until 2024 at Leverkusen, who the PA news agency understands paid United in the region of £1.75million.

READ MOREGary Neville sends Man Utd title message and teases Liverpool over pressure

 

Related Articles

HAVE YOUR SAY IN OUR FORUM