Zaha agent namechecks five clubs as he hints at winter Crystal Palace exit

Date published: Friday 6th December 2019 8:42

The agent of Wilfried Zaha has opened the door to a potential January transfer for the Crystal Palace winger, claiming the window will bring “some very good and interesting opportunities”.

Zaha looked destined to leave Palace before the start of the season, with Arsenal and Everton both eager to sign him, but neither club could meet the Eagles’ valuation.

He handed in a transfer request on Deadline Day in an attempt to force through a move to Goodison Park, but it was to no avail.

Chelsea have since been linked with a bid if their transfer ban is overturned, a move which would allow the 27-year-old to stay in London.

Despite only recording two goals and one assist in 15 Premier League appearances since then, Zaha remains hot property, and agent Federico Pastorello has hinted that he could be on the lookout for a new home again when the winter transfer window opens in less than a month’s time.

“I think he really deserves a new challenge and a top club, because he is really a top player,” Pastorello told Sky Sports News.

“It is surprising me because I read about a possible move in the summer but he stayed again. But this season he is proving that he is very focused and concentrated, so think he could be another good opportunity in the January market.

“The January market can [usually] be really calm. As the number of transfers there is about one third as many than in the summer. But there are some very good and interesting opportunities for the clubs that sell, because maybe a club really needs that player and is ready to pay a little bit more because of emergency.

“There have been a lot of changes in the Premier League in terms of managers. Sometimes when you do that you need to face his needs tactically. So expect maybe Tottenham being a bit more protagonist in the market, maybe Manchester United too.

“Let’s see what happens in Chelsea too, because the ban is not sure. If they remove that they may need to do something. In Europe there are some clubs like Inter and AC Milan that maybe need to improve their squad.”

The former Man Utd winger remains under contract at Selhurst Park until 2023, with the club having placed a huge valuation on him to deter potential suitors.

 

Zaha admitted in October that missing out on a move had caused him all sorts of emotions, but the Ivory Coast international has been happy to get back to work with Palace.

“I would have been hindering my own progress by moaning and not wanting to perform properly,” he told BBC Africa.

“I have too much respect for my manager, the fans and my team-mates to treat them that way. It was a thing where ‘OK, this hasn’t happened but I’ve got to get on with it’.

“I’ve got to prove every time that I’m the top player I claim to be so I had to get over that quickly. Obviously my head was a bit all over the place at the beginning of the season but I had to nail down and just get on with it because the team deserved that.”

And Palace owner Steve Parish has suggested he will not stand in his way if a top club come in for Palace academy product Zaha.

“I’m sure it has a happy ending for everybody,” Parish said in the Daily Mail. “That’s what I want to generate and I’m sure we’ll make that happen.

“We’ve all been young, but the situation was not right for anybody this summer. You think at the time it is, but I wouldn’t put a cap on this kid’s talent.

“I’ve watched him every week for 10 years, he scored the goal in the first game after we bought the club when he was 16.

“So there’s even a bit of me that wants to see what he can do at a top club, and I certainly wouldn’t want to be the person who stopped that.”

 

Related Articles

HAVE YOUR SAY IN OUR FORUM