Zinedine Zidane explains latest Gareth Bale snub with six words

Date published: Monday 20th July 2020 10:30

Real Madrid boss Zinedine Zidane put Gareth Bale’s absence from Sunday’s draw with Leganes down to a “technical decision”.

Bale was been axed from Real Madrid’s 22-man squad for their final La Liga game of the season, prompting more talk he will leave this summer.

All signs point towards an exit, and the Daily Star claims that three clubs in the running for his signature.

They report that former club Spurs remain an option, while Newcastle and LA Galaxy are the other two mentioned.

The Wales international’s future with the La Liga giants looks uncertain after making just two appearances since the season resumed last month.

His behaviour while on the bench has also been under scrutiny after he was seen on camera with his face mask over his eyes against Deportivo Alaves. While he simulated holding a pair of binoculars in front of his face while he watched Madrid’s meeting with Granada on Monday.

James Rodriguez meanwhile has been left out of the past five matchday squads – with personal reasons cited initially – and Zidane discussed the duo after finishing the season on Sunday.

“You know what happened with one [James]. The other is a technical decision,” Zidane said, via AS.

Madrid were far from their best against Leganes but Zidane refused to be too critical of his players after they wrapped up the title recently.

“During the game you can get angry because we didn’t play at our level,” he said. “We didn’t win but we didn’t lose either. In the end I prefer to focus on what we did before today. The season has been spectacular. We have to be happy with what we did.”

Madrid will now focus their attention on their Champions League last 16 match against Manchester City next month.

“It is not a holiday that we have now,” he said. “Now, I don’t think about City. We want to disconnect a bit, then we will have all the time to think. We will have 10-15 days to think. We will disconnect.

JOVIC DOOR OPEN

“Until the last second we are going to fight to go to that final, but now you don’t have to think about the Champions League. It is time to rest and think about gathering strength. The final stretch has been a tremendous effort. Now we all need some relaxation. This is what we are going to do.

“After these four or five days off, we go back and think about the Champions League. No stress or worries.”

Zidane did keep the door open for Luka Jovic, who came off the bench for what was just his second appearance since the restart of the season.

The 22-year-old has scored just twice in 26 appearances in his first season in Madrid.

“As always when I talk about Luka, what I say is that he is young,” Zidane said. “He has talent, but it has been a difficult season for him, especially with injuries.

“Of course things that have happened to him, I trust him. We will see next year.”

 

Related Articles

HAVE YOUR SAY IN OUR FORUM