Real Madrid line up experienced operator as Zidane calls time at Bernabeu

Date published: Thursday 27th May 2021 9:41 - Matthew Briggs

Zinedine Zidane Real Madrid press conference

Zinedine Zidane told Real Madrid he is leaving with immediate effect, according to a reliable source.

Zidane has called time on his second stint as manager of Los Blancos, says Fabrizio Romano. The 48-year-old won every major trophy during his time at the Bernabeu, but he will finish this season trophyless. Fierce rivals Atletico Madrid won the LaLiga title and Chelsea ousted Real from the Champions Leaguer semi-finals.

It’s the first time in 11 years that Real have not managed any silverware and that has been enough for Zidane to consider his options. And he will walk away from the club, he played for and managed for nine years.

The Frenchman has told his players and coaching staff that he is leaving. And an official announcement on Zidane’s future is expected very soon.

Off the field, Real Madrid were the kingpins in the doomed European Super League with club president Florentino Pérez the mouthpiece for the proposal. He remains locked in a bitter battle with UEFA.

Zidane refused to give his opinions on the axed Super League plans.

“These are questions for the President. I am here to talk about the game (against Cadiz tomorrow),” he told Marca last month

“We have not talked about a possible sanction in the Champions League for the Super League. Nothing, zero. We do not talk about that.

“I’m not going to give my opinion about the Super League. You can say I never get involved and that is true.”

Zidane might not be out of work long because he has long been the perfect man for Juventus, according to Football Italia.


Subscribe for free to TEAMtalk’s daily newsletter…


Allegri Bernabeu bound

Juve are currently weighing up Andrea Pirlo’s situation and had been in advanced talks for a Max Allegri comeback. Now though Zidane has jumped to the front of the queue.

The Bianconeri dropped everything and Juve reporter Luca Momblano suggested they sent a delegation to Madrid immediately for talks.

That could leave Allegri free to take over in Madrid.

The former Juventus boss has been out of work since his exit from the Old Lady in the summer of 2019.

But Marca say Allegri is primed to take over at the Bernabeu, with the Italian ‘never closer’ to taking charge than at the current time.

READ MORE: Conte to ask Levy to fund Tottenham deals for three major Inter stars

Related Articles

HAVE YOUR SAY IN OUR FORUM