Zinedine Zidane’s reported hopes of returning to management with Manchester United have caused alarm with Real Madrid president Florentio Perez.
That’s according to Spanish newspaper El Confidencial, who claim Perez is “disturbed” by reports that the Frenchman – who guided the club to three successive Champions League trophies – has set his sights on succeeding Jose Mourinho at Old Trafford.
But according to reports, Zidane is ‘preparing himself’ to take charge at Old Trafford and is said to be ‘expecting the call’ from the club – news which has reportedly got Perez in a stupor.
Zidane cited ‘exhaustion’ as his reason for leaving the Bernabeu, despite Perez’s wishes that he stay on. The European champions then appointed Julen Lopetegui as his successor.
But Perez is said to be disheartened that Zidane is not taking at least a year away from elite club football and his wish to manage United is said to have caused alarm.
The Frenchman recently confirmed he is ready for a return to management by saying: “Surely soon I will return to training, because I like it and it’s what I’ve done all my life.”
And according to the paper, Perez believes Zidane has set his sights on bossing United, with the pressure very much remaining on Mourinho.
Zidane remains the bookmakers favourite to succeed Mourinho, despite the United boss recently joking it would cost too much for the club to replace him.
Having signed a new deal earlier this year to keep him at the club until 2020, Mourinho said: “They say I’m in danger but I don’t think it.
“If they send me away, do you have any idea how much money they would have to give me?”
Sunday’s report claimed United are well aware that Zidane won’t remain a free agent forever and could act if the club fails to make progress from their Champions League group. The Red Devils were handed a tricky set of fixtures with Juventus, Valencia and Young Boys drawn alongside them in Group H.
Fancy the best United news direct to your Facebook timeline? Like our dedicated Manchester Utd Facebook page.