Real Madrid president Florentino Perez has agreed to rectify a transfer ‘mistake’ and will sanction a Tottenham raid at the behest of Carlo Ancelotti, claims a report.
Spurs have experienced a rollercoaster of emotions so far this season. They sat atop the Premier League table after three matches before a dismal run of form saw them freefall into mid-table. After a humbling 3-1 defeat to bitter rivals Arsenal, Tottenham have rebounded with back-to-back victories against Aston Villa and Newcastle.
One player who has played every single minute of their league campaign thus far is Sergio Reguilon.
The 24-year-old Spaniard is Nuno Espirito Santo’s undisputed No 1 choice at left-back. However, a recent report indicated former club Real Madrid were considering activating their previously negotiated buy-back clause.
Now, Sport Witness (citing El Nacional) have provided an update on the situation that makes grim reading for Nuno and co.
Firstly, they confirm the presence of a buy-back clause within Reguilon’s contract, though reveal it will only ‘come into effect next summer’. The figure at which Los Blancos can re-sign the full-back is stated to be €40m.
Spurs will therefore be safe in the January window, but Real boss Ancelotti has pushed for a summer swoop. The article states Ancelotti has ‘asked for Reguilon’s signing’, and Perez has backed his manager.
Perez is described as seeing Reguilon’s sale as a ‘mistake’. The full-back was sold during the tenure of former manager Zinedine Zidane.
Arsenal departure could help Spurs' pursuit of Dusan Vlahovic
A potential Arsenal departure could help Spurs in their pursuit of Fiorentina forward Dusan Vlahovic, with more news on Alexander Isak and Aurelian Tchouameni.
The Real head honcho has therefore agreed to Ancelotti”s request and will move to re-sign the player, according to the report.
Should Tottenham look to sell Reguilon in January before his buy-back clause activates next summer, Real Madrid would still have first refusal. Though given his importance to Nuno this term, that scenario seems extremely unlikely.
The Spanish outlet speculate that Reguilon will have ‘already said yes’ to a return to his home country. In their words, his Tottenham exit is ‘only a matter of time’.
Nuno stresses returning Bergwijn’s importance
Meanwhile, Nuno named a lengthy list of exciting attributes his forward ranks will now have after confirming a “unique” attacker will start in the Europa Conference League on Thursday.
When asked if he’d spoken to Bergwijn about facing Vitesse – a side he frequently came up against while at PSV Eindhoven – Nuno admitted: “No, I didn’t talk about that with Stevie.
“I just talk with Stevie to prepare himself because he’s returning from a tough period that he was out, and it’s a good opportunity for him to get sharper, to get faster and stronger. Because we need Stevie in our future.
“Stevie started the season very, very well. Unfortunately he got injured in the national team and since then he’s struggled again.
“But now he’s getting back, like I said to you before, it’s about getting him fitter, stronger, faster because he’s a very talented player. Very talented player. Unique inside our squad.
“He has things that really can really help us. He’s fantastic in 1v1, offensive, he’s fast, he gives us speed. He gives us… We need Stevie. I repeat myself: we need Stevie. He’s going to start the game. He is going to play. He’s feeling good. So let’s play good with Stevie.”