Antonio Conte press conference: Tottenham boss issues exciting transfer vow with departures likely

Antonio Conte Tottenham Chelsea August 2022

Antonio Conte has made it clear that any Tottenham departures this month will need to be replaced before the September 1 transfer deadline.

The Italian coach has been backed so far this summer by Daniel Levy. Seven new arrivals have landed in north London, including the £75m outlay on Richarlison and Yves Bissouma and more recently Destiny Udogie.

Conte has been insistent that his squad needed both quality and depth if they were to fight on four fronts. And he has said that if there are anymore departures this month he will be looking at signing replacements.

And with Tanguy Ndombele in Italy to complete a loan move to Napoli, Spurs could yet add to their squad.

Harry Winks and Sergio Reguilon are two others who could see their time in north London expire in the next two weeks.

Regarding his squad Conte said on Thursday: “We’re okay. But if someone goes away, for sure another player has to come.

“Especially if some players want to go to play regularly. It’s difficult to keep them here. But at the same time, it has to be very clear that if a player wants to go play, I have to replace this player.

“This is very important. We need to have a squad capable to face a lot of games until November. This is very important for me.”

“I think we have to try to put passion in every situation we’re going to do. I put passion in my job, in my work. If you put passion, you have to give everything. My demands of the players is to work very hard and improve the tactical aspect.”

Asked about the performance of his new boys against Chelsea, Conte said: “I’m happy because for sure the first target is this transfer market for the club and for me it was to improve the squad. And especially after the qualification for the Champions League it was to create a squad where the level is the same level.

“I have the possibility to pick 11 players. But at the same time know that on the bench are players that if they come in they can change the situation, they can give the quality and the quality doesn’t drop after the substitutions.

“It’s very important and then you know very well for now we’re playing one game a week and I’m trying, especially at the start to play with the players that know me much better and know our idea of football much better.

Antonio Conte: Udogie is a good prospect

“We are exploiting this time to bring players like Richy, Lenglet and Bissouma, Perisic and all the players we signed. The same also for Spence, to go into our idea of football. We are taking the right steps. We are ready for when we have games every three days to make rotations. And it will be good for us.”

Conte also admitted that 19-year-old Udogie, who has been loaned back to Udinese, is a player for future seasons.

“You said it well, he’s a player for the future. I think he is a good prospect for Tottenham because we are talking about a young player,” added Conte.

“For sure this player needs to develop like Spence and in my opinion a good investment for the club. Now he continues to play in this season with Udinese and in this way he has the possibility to play regularly.

“When you are young you need to play to improve your experience. For sure we are talking about a good prospect. But we are talking about a player for the future not for the present. He has to develop and to grow with a group of players with more experience.”