Conte ‘wants star gone from Tottenham’ as source details cold-shoulder treatment

Date published: Tuesday 30th November 2021 12:45 - James Marshment

Antonio Conte manager of Tottenham Hotspur leaves Turf Moor after the game is postponed due to snow

Antonio Conte is determined to move on one player gone from Tottenham, with reports in the Dutch media detailing the Spurs boss’ disdain for the unwanted star.

The Italian manager faces a huge task in turning around a Tottenham side that has been on the slide for a couple of seasons. Conte and director Fabio Paratici need a host of signings and departures if Spurs are to become a force once again.

The north London outfit are firmly in the race for Fiorentina’s Dusan Vlahovic. However, the goalscorer is also on the wish list of several other European clubs. Man City and Juventus are the most notable examples.

Recent reports suggest Fiorentina are willing to accept less than their initial valuation for Vlahovic. A bid of just £34m could be enough to bring him to England.

Spurs are also searching for Hugo Lloris’ replacement in goal. The skipper could leave for free when his contract expires in June.

Jordan Pickford and Sam Johnstone are both under consideration, although pundit Paddy Kenny reckons they should settle on the world-class Jan Oblak.

One man who could follow Lloris out the door is Steven Bergwijn. Indeed, reports on Monday explained how is emerging as a potential transfer option for Ajax.

Conte has ‘only said two words to Bergwijn’

And with the winger struggling to impress at Spurs, journalist Mike Verweij, speaking on De Telegraaf’s podcast, has detailed just how much contempt Conte has for Bergwijn.

“That interest in Bergwijn has been made known. Conte does not see it in him at all. Conte is also the one who opposed Bergwijn’s transfer from PSV to Italy. Inter were an interested club at the time, but Conte did not need him,” he said, via Sport Witness.

“Conte has only said two words to Bergwijn in two weeks at Tottenham Hotspur. That’s why Ajax can consider him, but first Ajax will have to sell [David] Neres.”

Indeed, with finances tight at Ajax, Verweij claims the Dutch giants are already working on a deal to sign Bergwijn on an initial loan.

“That is the reason that Ajax is busy with Brobbey and also fully committed to Bergwijn. This is simply not good enough,” Verweij added.

“I think they only want to loan this season, that applies also for Bergwijn. Ajax had very bad figures last year, also because of Corona.”

Joe Rodon also likely to leave Spurs

Joe Rodon, meanwhile, is said to becoming more and more ‘frustrated’ with his lack of game time and is looking for a potential January exit.

The Wales international was signed in the summer of 2020 for £15million from Swansea, with Spurs, who were managed by Jose Mourinho at the time, beating several other Premier League clubs to the signature of the highly-rated centre-back.

There was expected to be a period of adaptation for the 24-year-old. After all, he had swapped the Championship for England’s top flight.

But 18 months down the line, the Welshman remains nowhere near the starting line-up.

Indeed, he was not even included in the matchday squad for Sunday’s postponed clash with Burnley.

Rodon did start in the humiliating defeat to Mura in the Europa Conference League. However, the lasting legacy of that game appeared to enter into Antonio Conte’s thinking for the Clarets clash – even though Davinson Sanchez still kept his place after his nightmare in Slovenia before the game was called off.

And now Football.London claims that Rodon is open to the idea of a loan exit in the New Year.

The report adds that there is likely to be plenty of Premier League interest in the player. Indeed, a potential switch to Brighton has been mooted.

READ MORE: Nuno Espirito Santo next job plans emerge after Tottenham sacking

Related Articles

HAVE YOUR SAY IN OUR FORUM