Tottenham have been tipped to offload a duo Antonio Conte has sidelined to a Premier League rival in what would be a “clever” deal.
Conte is of course nearing his first transfer window as Spurs boss. There has been a lot of talk about who the Italian manager would like to bring in. But there is also outgoings on the cards come January.
Midfielder Dele Alli looks set for a temporary move away. He’s severely struggled for game time since Conte’s arrival.
And similarly, defender Joe Rodon has found himself on the fringes. He too could be on his way in order to revive his career.
Interestingly, both of the north London stars have been linked to Newcastle, who are looking for proven Prem players.
Tottenham transfer insider John Wenham believes letting them both join the Magpies would make sense for all parties.
“If Newcastle are interested in Joe Rodon, I expect there is a clever deal to be done there,” he told Football Insider.
“I think if Newcastle were told they could sign one permanently and take the other on loan with an option to buy, that would suit Tottenham.
“Obviously you can’t loan two players from the same club so that is out of the question.
Alli finding his way out of Tottenham
Spurs are willing to listen to offers for the English midfielder in January.
“You can also understand why Newcastle would be more hesitant to buy Dele Alli considering his poor form over the last few years.
“They are the deals Tottenham will be looking at, we have done it in the past. I remember we once sold four players to Portsmouth and then another group of players to Sunderland.
“It would also make the move easier for both players. It’s a long way up north and they can both lean on each other.”
Tough time at Tottenham
Meanwhile, Conte has said that he has had a “terrible” past week dealing with the coronavirus outbreak at the club.
“Last week was terrible because the government decides, in the right way, to close the training ground and stop our training session. I had the press conference where it’s very difficult to speak about football,” he said.
“Then we had Thursday, Friday and Saturday without any sessions. Sunday we started again to work with not many players, because we also had problems with Under-23s.
“We started with 13/14 players [on Sunday] and today we had training with 16 players and more young players.”
Conte continued: “The Covid is not only 10 days and many times he brings with this virus a situation that you make your body not so strong. For this reason you have players injured after Covid.
“This is the big problem that we must be good to face in the future. To bring these players affected by Covid to be fit and avoid injuries. This could be the big problem in the future. Not the ten days.”