Richarlison throws Conte under the bus in sweary rant as Tottenham season implodes
Tottenham forward Richarlison blasted Antonio Conte in the aftermath of their Champions League exit in an explosive and sweary interview with the Brazilian media.
Spurs’ quest for silverware came to a screeching halt within an eight-day span in March. A weakened Tottenham side bowed out of the FA Cup on March 1 to Championship high flyers Sheffield United.
That left the Champions League as their last hope of winning a trophy this term. However, Spurs were unable to overturn a one-goal deficit on home turf on Wednesday night.
Tottenham lacked incision throughout and but for a late Harry Kane header, rarely threatened AC Milan stopper Mike Maignan.
Tottenham’s attentions will now turn to securing UCL qualification for next season, though whether Conte will be at the helm next year remains to be seen.
The Italian’s contract is up in the summer and few can argue his time in north London has been a success. The Athletic recently reported the Conte era is coming to an end and that was before the UCL exit to Milan.
READ MORE: Next Tottenham manager: Ranking the 19 candidates – all former Chelsea – to replace Antonio Conte
Now, if Richarlison’s comments are anything to go by, certain sections of the Tottenham squad would gladly accept Conte leaving.
Richarlison took aim at his Italian manager when speaking to TNT Sports Brazil post-match. In doing so, he questioned his manager’s team selections, insisted there’s a lack of communication inside the club and branded their season “s***.”
Richarlison’s main gripe centred around not being selected to start against Milan, with Conte instead choosing Son Heung-min and Dejan Kulusevski to flank Harry Kane.
The Brazilian had started both league victories against West Ham and Chelsea in late-February. He also got the nod in the FA Cup defeat to Sheffield Utd, though was then relegated to the bench against Wolves and AC.
Assistant manager Cristian Stellini had been on the touchline for the matches mentioned as Conte recovered from gallbladder surgery. However, it stands to reason Conte was the one making the selection calls with Stellini a mere proxy.
READ MORE: Romano issues major update on Chelsea, Man Utd, Tottenham target; as two European giants enter race
Richarlison goes in on Conte, Tottenham season
“That’s what I didn’t understand, too (being a substitute),” said Richarlison (via ESPN Brazil). “It was going well, in a good sequence, two wins against West Ham and Chelsea.
“Suddenly, he [Cristian Stellini] put me on the bench, against Wolverhampton he put me on for five minutes. I asked why, they didn’t tell me anything.
“And, yesterday, they asked me to take a test at the gym, that if I was good I would go to the game and, at the time of the game, they left me on the bench.
“These are things that it is not possible to understand. Let’s see what he will say tomorrow, but there are no fools here either, I’m a professional, I work every day and I want to play. There are minutes left, time left.
“This season, excuse the word, it’s been s***, because I don’t have minutes, I suffered a little with the injury.
“But, when I enter the field, I give my life. I came from two games well, I think that’s it, I think I should have played and I don’t have to cry about it.”
READ MORE: Harry Kane: ‘Dour, drab’ Tottenham told to pray as Rio Ferdinand drops exit truth bomb to make Levy sweat