Tottenham have reportedly offered to include first-team three players in a deal to sign Sporting Lisbon right-back Pedro Porro as the clock ticks down to the close of the January transfer window.
Antonio Conte is desperate to improve his squad before the deadline as Spurs’ hopes of a top-four finish appear to be disappearing fast after a poor recent run of results that has included back-to-back losses to Arsenal and then Manchester City.
In all Tottenham have only won one of their last five league games, including three defeats in that time. They are now six points behind fourth-placed Manchester United and have also played a game more.
Conte, whose own future at Spurs is in doubt, is in the market for a new right wing-back, a centre-back and a creative midfielder. But it’s at wing-back where Spurs appear to be closest to striking a deal, with Porro their No.1 target.
Sporting are so far playing hardball over any deal and insist the £40million exit clause must be paid.
However, Fabrizio Romano reports that the north London club have offered a player plus guaranteed money for the talented 23-year-old.
The Times has also backed up that report, and names the three players who have been offered.
They state that Emerson Royal, Japhet Tanganga and Bryan Gil have all been made available to tempt Sporting into a deal.
All three players are deemed surplus to requirements by Conte. Meanwhile, Tottenham have also offered to remove the 50 percent sell-on clause in Marcus Edwards’ contract with the Portuguese giants in order to reduce Porro’s fee.
But it appears little progress is being made and that something needs to change to get the deal done.
Porro comments on Sporting future
The player himself also insists he’s happy to stay at Sporting.
Porro scored and provided an assist in their win over Vizela on Friday night. He also pointed to the Sporting badge after scoring from the penalty spot.
Speaking after the match, Porro told SportTV: “I’m not talking about the possibilities on the market – about staying nor about leaving”, Porro told SportTV.
“I’m focused on Sporting and I’m happy here.”
Sporting boss Ruben Amorim also reiterated the club’s stance that Porro’s release clause must be paid for him to leave.
“I can’t guarantee anything,” he said. “It doesn’t seem to me that he will leave.
“To leave at this moment, he has to leave due to the clause. That is the knowledge I have.”
Tottenham are back in action on Monday evening when they head to Fulham in the Premier League.