Tottenham Hotspur

Tottenham Hotspur

Premier League • England

Tottenham star facing exile until January after snubbing advances from Saudi Arabia, Turkey

Hugo Lloris Tottenham

Hugo Lloris looks set to stay at Tottenham until January

A Tottenham stalwart is facing exile until the January transfer window opens after showing no interest in making a move to Saudi Arabia or Turkey.

Hugo Lloris, who has been at the club for 11 years, failed to secure an exit from the club before the majority of the European summer transfer windows closed.

And while the 36-year-old continues to train with the first-team squad he’s had no matchday involvement under Ange Postecoglou so far, with Guglielmo Vicario now the club’s confirmed No.1 and Fraser Forster the back-up option.

To that end, unless he can agree a move to a club where a window remains open, Lloris will be forced to play a waiting game until the January window opens.

The Frenchman, who has one year left on his contract, is well aware that the Saudi Arabia’s Pro League’s window closes on Thursday. He has had offers from there but has so far shown no inclination to go. Elsewhere in terms of the other prominent leagues, the window in Turkey is open until September 15.

Indeed, Lloris has already seen former teammates Davinson Sanchez and Tanguy Ndombele head to Turkey after they joined Galatasaray.

The report in The Guardian claims there has been frustration at Tottenham over Lloris’s situation, with the club believing the stopper has had ample time to find a new club.

It’s also claimed that Daniel Levy has given Lloris his word that he can leave the club on a free transfer, with the player not having an agent.

Lloris said at the beginning of June he had “desires for other things” and that it was “the end of an era” for him at Spurs. He was then allowed to mutually skip the pre-season tour of Australia, Thailand and Singapore to focus on getting a new club.

Unfortunately for him that did not happen, with Lloris turning down Saudi offers as well as moves to Lazio and hometown club Nice on deadline day.

The World cup winner revealed that he decided against heading back to Nice because their offer lacked clarity in a sporting sense.

“The supporters [of Nice] and the team deserve better than a split-second decision based on a phone call without expectations or a clear sporting project with one hour until the closure of the window at a time where I wasn’t expecting it,” he said.

READ MOREDe Gea, Hazard, Lingard and the best former Premier League players that are currently free agents

Lloris contract termination now unlikely

There was also a suggestion that Tottenham were willing to terminate his contract but that did not happen either. And, if the club were to do that now, after the closure of the Premier League window, Lloris will not be allowed to join a new club as a free agent until January.

The Guardian adds that any immediate move would have to be a standard transfer between Spurs and a club in a league where the window remains open.

Postecoglou does have room to include Lloris on his 25-man senior squad list that must be submitted to the Premier League next Wednesday, but it’s unlikely that he will keep three established keepers.

The Australian also has 17 non-homegrown players (including Lloris) and eight homegrown players – both of which are within the limits.

For Lloris, who has made 447 appearances for the club, it appears that he will be forced to train and pass on his wisdom to Vicartio and Forster before finally sealing an exit in January.

READ MORESon Heung-min sends warning to Tottenham rivals after £47.5m Brennan Johnson capture