West Ham have been told that they will have to offer a permanent transfer for Gabigol if they are to land him in the January transfer window.
Gabriel Barbosa has been linked with a move to West Ham. In fact earlier this week Sky Sports reported the Hammers were in talks with Flamengo. The outlet claimed contact had been made with representatives of the attacker, who has scored 104 goals in 147 games for the Brazilian side.
However, West Ham thought they had the advantage, with Gabigol said to watch all of the Hammers games. And have a solid amount of respect for the job David Moyes has done in the capital.
The 25-year-old, who has 12 goals from 18 top-flight outings this term, is looking for a move to England. He wants to seal his place in the Brazil squad for December’s World Cup and sees the Premier League as the place to do that.
But Flamengo will not sanction a loan move.
Fabrizio Romano says that West Ham were talking about an 18-month loan deal. But there is “no way” they will accept a deal of that nature. Instead they want a permanent transfer and he will “only leave for big proposal”.
Flamengo have been very clear on Gabigol and Premier League. No way to accept 18-month loan deal discussed with West Ham days ago. Makes no sense to discuss/accept loan proposals. ⛔️🇧🇷 #WHUFC
Brazilian club still planning to keep Gabigol – he’ll only leave for big proposal.
— Fabrizio Romano (@FabrizioRomano) January 5, 2022
Flamengo are planning on keeping the former Inter Milan flop.
Newcastle close in on Gabigol
It remains to be seem now just how keen Moyes is to land the forward.
But according to 90min, the Hammers will have to be quick to decide whether they will pursue a permanent deal.
Cash-rich Newcastle are apparently prepared to step up their game.
They report Magpies boss Eddie Howe could be allowed to sign two forwards in January. Newcastle have also held preliminary talks with Barbosa, and are stated to be ‘ready to firm up their interest’.
Whether or not they tried to go down the loan route is unclear, but Flamengo have set their stance. Now it’s up to Gabigol’s English suitiors whether they will go all in for a £30m-plus transfer.