West Ham United

West Ham United

Premier League • England

West Ham ace breaks Kidderminster hearts as Moyes’ side snatch late winner in extra time

Jarrod Bowen West Ham goal

West Ham sneaked past sixth tier Kidderminster and into the FA Cup fifth round thanks to a late winner from Jarrod Bowen.

The Hammers had never lost to a non-league team since joining the Football League back in 1919. But that run was in serious danger of being broken as Kidderminster took them to extra time at the Aggborough Stadium, before losing 2-1 at the hands of Bowen.

West Ham were back in action after a two-week break, with their last outing being a 1-0 Premier League defeat to Manchester United.

David Moyes made eight changes to the side which started that game, as only Alphonse Areola, Kurt Zouma and Jarrod Bowen kept their places.

The Premier League outfit were without striker Michail Antonio due to international duty, forcing Moyes to utilise Andriy Yarmolenko and Bowen in attack.

Kidderminster were huge underdogs but they had no intention of simply making up the numbers and took a shock lead in the 20th minute.

A free-kick was whipped in and Areola failed to deal with it, allowing Alex Penny to finish on his instep. It was a composed effort from the 24-year-old right-back despite the magnitude of the occasion for Kidderminster.

The Harriers caused West Ham all sorts of problems in the first half and defended bravely when their opponents got into the attacking third.

Moyes, clearly frustrated with the scoreline, made two substitutions at the interval. Declan Rice came into midfield for Alex Kral and Craig Dawson joined the defence by replacing Issa Diop.

Rice’s impact was shown in the 53rd minute as he drove at the Kidderminster defence before playing the ball out to Nikola Vlasic on the left. He pulled it back for Said Benrahma but the home side’s defenders put their bodies on the line to keep it out.

Eight minutes later, Bowen won the ball back for West Ham in a dangerous position. He troubled Harriers keeper Luke Simpson with a low drive but the 27-year-old was equal to it and got down smartly. Impressive centre-back Matt Preston then slid in to keep Bowen out from the rebound.

Rice’s arrival had upped the Hammers’ tempo slightly but Kidderminster were still keeping them out, forcing Moyes to return to his bench. This time he brought on regular starters Aaron Cresswell and Tomas Soucek.

The Hammers were finding no gaps through the Kidderminster backline and that led Soucek and Rice to fire efforts over the bar in frustration.

West Ham had a big chance to equalise in the 87th minute as Yarmolenko and Benrahma linked up well in the box. Benrahma shot at goal from close range but Kidderminster’s defenders were once again there to block.

The Harriers looked set to reach the next round by entering injury time still 1-0 up. But Rice was on hand to drag West Ham into extra time.

He played a nice one-two with Pablo Fornals before cutting inside on Preston. The England midfielder then fired into the roof of the net, giving Moyes and co. salvation.

Kidderminster tired in the first half of extra time, and rightly so, but the Irons still could not find a way through.

West Ham had the ball in the back of the with 10 minutes left but Bowen’s goal was ruled out for offside in the build-up.

Moyes then had a scare as centre-half Zouma went down awkwardly on his right knee, having only just returned from a hamstring injury. But the Frenchman continued by hobbling for the rest of the tie.

West Ham then snatched a dramatic late winner through right winger Bowen. Yarmolenko sent an effort towards the back post, which fell to Cresswell. He put it across the face of the goal and Bowen was there to tap home and break Kidderminster hearts.

READ MORE: Man Utd man blasts penalty over as Boro reach FA Cup fifth round with famous shootout win