1 player from past in current 11, no Stevie

This topic contains 11 replies, has 8 voices, and was last updated by  Songman 10 months, 3 weeks ago.

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)
  • Author

kopite
    Participant
    • :

As you can guess, I’m pretty bored this international break. Anyway, I’m going with Souness. I know his history but purely as a player. Fab, Souness and Hendo/Thiago

threeps
    threeps
    Participant
    • :

I only caught the very end of his playing career but what about Kenny in the Firmino role?

Razor
    Razor
    Participant
    • :

Michael Owen. He might be a knob but at his best he was something else. Incredible finisher and lightning pace. He would bag 50 a season easy with the number of chances we create. Favorite player from my childhood.

Rob Fort Worth TX
    Rob Fort Worth TX
    Participant
    • :

Threeps, Kenny would be my choice too, in a 4231.

Alisson
    Trent, Matip, Virgil, Robbo
    Fabinho, Thiago
    Mo, Kenny, Mane
    Jota

The Fulcrum
    The Fulcrum
    Participant
    • :

If Stevie not allowed I’ll settle for Fowler

Rob Fort Worth TX
    Rob Fort Worth TX
    Participant
    • :

Fulcrum, I toyed with Barnes, Rush, Suarez, Callaghan, Smith, McMahon, Souness, Torres, Beardsley, Fowler, Owen, Whelan……lol.

MrMakaveli
    MrMakaveli
    Participant
    • :

Xabi Alonso. It’s not even a question for me.

I guess I may have to explain my selection to others but it’s in midfield that we’re weakest and in Alonso, we had the best distributer of the ball that I’ve seen as a fan.

in this day and age especially, it’s so important to have people who are of spotting and executing a well timed long range, or through ball.

When Van Dijk got injured, we always knew what we’d lose in terms of defensive qualities but what really stood out once we’d settled into reality was a noticeable lack of his passing range.

Alonso wasn’t just a good passer, he was hard to dispossess while he was setting up said passes. We all remember how quick he was to shift his feet and in today’s game where I think he’d probably be pressed more, or least, more cleverly, I really think he’d be amazing in this team now.

You were right to ban Gerrard from this of course, he would walk into this team, in place of Firmino.

The Fulcrum
    The Fulcrum
    Participant
    • :

Alonso a good shout mak. I’m guessing you are slotting him in for Thiago in the mid 3 of the 433? But if that’s the case then why are you bringing Gerrard in as a false 9, he could do it, that’s not in question, but he’d be far more useful driving forward from midfield? Screw it its internatonal football boredom and we are breaking the rules bringing in Gerrard! But in a 433 with current players and manager, I wouldn’t agree with dropping Firmino and keeping Thiago. I’d have midfield of Gerrard Fabinho and Henderson…………… But now I’m going to have to go look at my own pick. Fowler, great striker, natural finisher, prime fowler walks into any team. But he probably doesn’t replace Firmino as a false 9. Could play 4,2,3,1 with midfield of Hendo and fabinho and 3 of mane, Firmino, salah with Fowler in front of Firmino. But then would be changing what mane and Salah do for us. …….this is harder than I thought it was! So I’m going to revise my answer, and it’s not Thiago bashing but in a 433 of our current best line up he drops out first. So new answer Souness in for Thiago. …………or Hyypia in for Matip….argh! Can we just do a best 11(442 or 433) of our last 3 champions league wins instead?!

The Fulcrum
    The Fulcrum
    Participant
    • :

Shite…………Alan Hansen.

kopite
    Participant
    • :

Fulcrum: If I had allowed Gerrard, there would probably be only one answer.

redsforever
    Participant
    • :

Luis suarez. With mane salah and suarez we’d walk this league.

Songman
    Participant
    • :

Maxi “Maximum” Rodriguez as a super sub, one of the most underrated, unpredictable Liverpool players of all time

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)

You must be logged in to reply this topic.