2018-19 Season Predictions

This topic contains 59 replies, has 27 voices, and was last updated by Sanj1 Sanj1 1 year, 4 months ago.

Viewing 20 posts - 21 through 40 (of 60 total)
  • Author
    Number8wasgr8
    Number8wasgr8
    Participant
    • :

All very good players Songman but I can also mention games where Salah hasn’t played & we lacked that killer instinct. When he went off in the C/L final we lost our swagger & speed & the game totally changed. Just watching the pre season we can still dominate when he’s not playing but we are a totally different proposition when he plays. Obviously he’s our main man so naturally it’s going to effect us when he’s not there but I think he is that player that opposition players can’t handle.
    You don’t think so & I hope your right so hopefully we don’t have to find out and he stays fit.

Gul
    Gul
    Participant
    • :

Premier League – 1st – since 2009, prem league winners have failed to retain title.
    Champions League – Semi’s. Think City will win this (for what its worth)
    FA Cup – Quarters – hope we get knocked out earlier, tbh. Cup run may get in the way.
    League Cup – Winners. shorter cup run should suit us
    Highest Scorer – Salah – 30+
    First Sacking/Resignation – Not bothered. Wont be Klopp thats for sure.

Think we have enough to win consistently though City may be a better squad overall than us. City didn’t get competition so ran away with it. This season will be different. They have stood still (albeit at a good head start from everyone else), while we have improved. and there are good reasons why teams don’t retain the prem league over last 10 years and that is a telling stat.

Number8wasgr8
    Number8wasgr8
    Participant
    • :

Hope your right Gul, it would be great to finally break the drought. I just get the feeling c$ty are a little bit too far ahead with their quality in depth. Either way I’m very confident we will play some great stuff and will be great to watch.

Gul
    Gul
    Participant
    • :

me too, no. 8

Lets see what happens 🙂

MrMakaveli
    MrMakaveli
    Participant
    • :

Aussie, there was a time when Mane was the main man. He’s just as good now as he was back then too but we’ve improved a lot since then. Do you remember when Mane was missing during that horrible winter break 2 seasons ago and we failed to break teams down? We’ve come a long long way since then. Salah is just as if not more invasive than him.

It isn’t just about the options up top though, it’s the route you take to creating that chance. Since those days we’ve added TAA and Robertson, who are amazing at creating chances. Add Keita and Shaqiri to the mix and we’ve got an absolute abundance of paths to the goal. we’ll always want Salah out there and you can never expect to rid yourself of bad days completely. Every great team in history has struggled to break teams down on a night here and there, for whatever reason. I do feel that we’ve done everything that we can to cut down on the number of incidents though.

For one, good luck with the generic park the bus tactic. I mean, we pretty much put an end to that through the second half of last season anyway, thanks to the above but it’ll have no chance of working now. Even look at our attacking set pieces. Teams won’t be as happy to give us 15 corners in a match because Van Dijk will get on the end of one of them.

We’ll need luck with the new players settling in well and also injuries but it’s totally do-able. The PL is winnable this season.

Sean the sailor
    Participant
    • :

I think we’re cursed so I don’t think we will win anything

Finish 3rd and no trophies. We will play some superb football, come close to something but fall at last hurdle

This is the best shape we have been in for years and I live klopp on our style but I believe he will leave without winning and anything. Be such a shame as we are a quality side who doesn’t get much luck

shanksy
    shanksy
    Spectator
    • :

Mourinho crying again and aiming digs at ourselves and the Utd board. What a cock.

Bob-Notts
    Bob-Notts
    Participant
    • :

Sean I think we are slowly creating a dynasty mate. Watch this space, if not this season next we will get back to where we belong and win the epl.

Just need a bit of luck as all teams need.

Bob-Notts
    Bob-Notts
    Participant
    • :

Shanksy, he has always been a knob. Even a couple hardcore utd fans I know are beginning to say that now.

gingerlfc
    Participant
    • :

With regards winning the Prem let’s have a look at the teams around us.

City are the Champions and accumulated over 100 points. I’m not sure they will do that again but they will be mighty good again. They’ve added Mahrez and Mendy should be back fit again. Pep has had a coupla season to get his ideas across now.
    They’ll be favs.

Utd have missed out on quite a few transfer targets and Mourinho is already doing his usual third season stuff and moaning about everything. Players are wanting out and he’s finding it very difficult to attract the ones he wants. I predict a Mourinho implosion this season but he’ll have them playing their usual defensive boring hard to beat football.

Chelsea have only signed Jorginho of note and it’s yet to be seen how he takes to the Prem. There are question marks over whether several of their players will move and they also have a new manager to imprint his style and get used to the Prem.

Spurs have bought no one to my knowledge and there’s question marks over the future of Alderwerild. Pochetino is a very good manager and will get the best out of them again plus with Kane scoring like he is they will finish top 4 I believe.

Arsenal have done a lot of business in and out plus they have a first new manager in 2 decades. How long will it take for all these new personnel to settle particularly the manager. Who knows!

For the first time in several years we have retained our best players and have added 4 more quality players. Prob our best summer in many years. Our manager knows what he wants and has got his ideas across to the players. There is really a good mood factor sweeping amongst the players and club as a whole. The whole thing is really buzzing at the min. I’m predicting a title challenge this year. How it pans out rests on many things but that’ll be part of the ride. I still believe we’re an attacker short but perhaps that’ll be rectified in Jan.

Gul
    Gul
    Participant
    • :

Mourinho is a class one prick. total arsehole. No class at all and Im loving the fact that he hates Pep with a passion and Pep keeps beating him. If we can’t win it, I hope they do.

if nothing else than for the Poncy One to destroy his legacy. For him that will eat his pathetic little ego.

Red Herring
    Red Herring
    Participant
    • :

Mourinho is currently looking good to replicate his standard 3 season strategy of: “Buy the bus – Park the bus – Crash the bus”.

Paxman
    Participant
    • :

Klopp pure class with his comment about Napoli being 100% the best side we have faced, nice little dig at Jose 🙂

Mikus
    Participant
    • :

Don’t really have much to add from Ginger’s post. Assuming the new players deliver and hit the ground running, we should be in a position to challenge. I don’t think we’ll ever be a particularly robust side under Klopp, but with the quality and balance we now have, it should bail us out of the many draws we stacked up last year and turn them into victories. Enough to win the title? That’s the 64 million dollar question. Hence we can’t bring in enough attacking talent.

mwake
    mwake
    Participant
    • :

I might have to upgrade my opinion on Chelsea. If they get Kovavic, Kante and Jorghino in as a midfield three then that is a pretty badass midfield. The best in the PL (apart from City)? I hope they don’t supplement that with Fekir too!

bofa
    Participant
    • :

Premier League Final Position: 2nd (behind City)
    Champions League: Quarter Final or Semi at a minimum

FA Cup: Hopefully not unless we get to the semi final with the kids/peripheral players.

League Cup: Hopefully we play the kids and peripheral players but this competition turns into a disaster by the semi stage with two legs, extra time, replays etc. It’s at the worst time of the year and should be avoided at all costs. Winning either of the domestic cups are “nice to haves” but useless when it comes to club development and progress.
    Highest Scorer: Mo if he stays fit. Mane if he doesn’t

First Sacking/Resignation: Mark Hughes but hopefully Mourinho (biggest prick in English football by some distance).

MrMakaveli
    MrMakaveli
    Participant
    • :

Good post Ginger. A summary that explains why the PL is so difficult. We’ve potentially had our best summer on top of some already stunning developments on the field.. and we’re still up against some really amazing teams/projects. The PL is by far the best league in the world. I still think we’ll win the league this year, maybe some of that is faith but I think Klopp has shown us over his time here that he gets the best out of what he has. What he has now is a fantastic group of players. I think the first 11 can rival anyone in the PL, on paper… so if Klopp gets more from players than most managers can dream of, then it’s fair to think that if the trend stays, some may be in for a pleasant surprise.

I won’t lie though, I am slightly apprehensive of our first game. However discussions may have gone regards Lovren, he’ll be missed. Our teams offside play has not been fantastic in preseason and honestly, we were lucky with some calls. By lucky, I simply mean that the scenarios are not really highlighted when theya re gotten away with. The thing is, we wont get so lucky in the PL, so we’ve got to sharpen up there and no doubt, we’ll have to sharpen up in other areas too.

So, the result of the first match could come down to who’s had the better preseason preparations. We’ve had quite a few players coming back from the WC late. I still think we’ve got the quality to shine but ya.. we’ll just have to be careful.

Sean the sailor
    Participant
    • :

We need to start well. After ten games last season we were 12 points behind city

We dropped to many silly points at home

We need at least 10 points from first 4 games if we are serious about challenging.

12 is very possible. Two tricky away games but we really need to start well

Play like we can then I can see no reason why we can’t have a very good start

Sean the sailor
    Participant
    • :

Mak agree about how we push up and play offside. It’s a risk in my opinion but spurs/city play it to a tee. We are getting better at playing the high line

Alison needs to be very quick off his line

threeps
    threeps
    Participant
    • :

My predictions are we will win by a narrow margin from city, who will be distracted by their forthcoming champions league final. The top two are comfortably ahead of spurs who in turn are well clear of arsenal in forth. Chelsea take time to adjust to their new style but late surge gets them 5th. Man Utd continue to park the bus but lack the luck of previous years, Mourinho has a predictable melt down and they are left fighting it out for the last Europa league place with Everton and wolves. Fulham to finish comfortably mid table and Cardiff to go down beating Derby’s record as the worst team in the league.

Viewing 20 posts - 21 through 40 (of 60 total)

You must be logged in to reply this topic.