2018-19 Season Predictions

This topic contains 59 replies, has 27 voices, and was last updated by Sanj1 Sanj1 4 years, 10 months ago.

Viewing 20 posts - 41 through 60 (of 60 total)
  • Author

captkirk
    Participant
    • :

Apart from the price tag of our players and their obvious talent one essential ingredient is for them to have a winning mentality. This will enable the team to grind results on difficult nights and let’s face it most matches will fit in this category as opposition players raise their game as they know their exploits are being watched by Brazilians, Slovenians, New Zealanders and Andorrans.

That’s why I hope Sturridge stays fit as he tries to do something up to the very end. Milner is the only player to have won a major silverware and will also play an important part in our quest for the crown. VVD looks very confident when he is on the pitch, Mane has put behind his difficult spell, Salah seems to be raring to have a go again to secure the golden boots so I’m as optimistic we are going to have a very good season especially if the new players blend in quickly. No reason to believe otherwise as it seems Klopp and his team does a background check to vouch for the character and attitude of potential signings to avoid disruptive additions to the dressing room.

NotoriousBingo
    Participant
    • :

Its been a while since I´ve said this but we got a world class keeper and the keeper that kept 2nd most clean sheets in the Champions League as backup.

We got cover for the leftback, cover for the rightback, we got more than enough cover for the whole defense. Same goes for the midfield and by the looks of it the attack as well.

We have improved in basically every position this summer.

I see at least ten more points than last season, if everything clicks and we avoid injuries to key player we could make up twenty points.

The attack should be able to score more goals, the midfield got more steel and more goals, we added an excellent player in Shaqiri to the squad who is desperate to make a name for himself.

The only minus at the start of the season is the long term injury to Oxlade.

Rob Fort Worth TX
    Rob Fort Worth TX
    Participant
    • :

Injuries, no doubt, a key to how well we do this season (as it is for all teams).

Over the past couple of years Lallana, Clyne, Matip, Henderson, Klavan and Wij have all consistently picked up injuries and illnesses. It seems we never lose one defender or one mid it’s always 2-3 defenders or 2-3 mids leaving us very short.

The one area where will win or lose (said it before) is midfield.

Can Klopp strike a solid/creative balance among Fabinho, Milner, Wij, Keita, Henderson and Shaqiri? I think he will be tempted to utilize Milner, Hendo and Wij above Fab until the latter really understands the system.

Shaqiri for me is the creative missing link that will surprise many. Not surprising technically (we know he’s good) but consistency wise.

Klopp will go safety first with his bedded in mids and it’ll be interesting to see who he starts Sunday alongside Keita in the engine room.

For me it’s a no brainer – Wijnaldum as the 6/8, Keita as the 8/10 and Shaqiri as the 10.

Do not underestimate West Ham tho. Pellegrini knows the Premiership and we’ve only beaten them once at home in the last 3 years (4 games). They’ve added a lot of new players this summer especially mid and attackers so our mid and back line are going to have to be on it.

I think we’ll win 2-0 or 3-1.

The Fulcrum
    The Fulcrum
    Participant
    • :

Bingo, agree, we are in really good shape for the start of the season and while we do have cover in all positions I’d be a bit concerned as to the quality of our cover at the back if we suffered any substantial injury to van Dijk. Lovrens had an excellent run in the champions league and world cup and Matip is a far better player than last season would suggest. I imagine VVD and the knowledge of a strong keeper behind them will get the best out of them but VVD is the glue in that defence and the one player we would struggle most without in a title tilt.

Rob Fort Worth TX
    Rob Fort Worth TX
    Participant
    • :

24 hours after I type my last post Lovren is now out for a while so we only have Gomez as the only fit centre back with VVD. If either one of them gets injured (always a chance!) then we’re farm trucked.

Songman
    Participant
    • :

Not really Rob, we’ve also got Nat Phillips who has been excellent at CB in pre-season, plus Grujic and Fabinho can also play there, though that’s not ideal.

However having 3 centre-backs missing on the first day of he season is not a good situation and quite a risk, but injuries are unavoidable

bofa
    Participant
    • :

If VVD get injured, we’ll be in a bad place Rob… no question. I wonder would Klopp consider putting Robertson in there if the shit hits the fan. He’s a fabulous left full but I’d rather that than putting an inexperienced player in there and putting Clyne in left full.

In fairness, we’re talking about a disater scenario here. The other options would be Fabinho of course. We’re not that bad yet though!

redsforever
    Participant
    • :

We shouldve got a CB in the transfer window.

bofa
    Participant
    • :

Probably should have reds. It’s the one position we just don’t have quality and proven cover. We may get away with it though. It’s hard to complain about the quality we’ve brought in.

mwake
    mwake
    Participant
    • :

Agred Red4ever and Bofa, whilst us lot debate if our first options to partner for VVD are good enough, Chelsea are nonchalantly loaning out Kurt Zouma to Everton to add to Yerry Mina who they picked up at a bargain price! Definitely an area we will need to upgrade on soon.

Derren Mindbender
    Participant
    • :

That is why Fabinho is a huge signing. We started last season with lovren and matip as cb and hendo as a new converted DM. Without VVD we can now play 2 DMs with Hendo knowing the position better and Fabinho. Most of the goals we conceded were in transition and set plays with the CBs not clearly at fault because the midfield was too slow to move into a defensive shape but the 2 DMs will cover that. The set plays have improved a lot and is not strictly down to the cbs. We also have a much better GK this time around so no need to worry too much just yet

gingerlfc
    Participant
    • :

Yous seem to forget we went unbeaten from end of Oct to the new year with Lovren and Klavan in defence last year.

pinezes69
    Participant
    • :

Fantastic performance yersterday, we created a lot of chancew but we hit the target only 4 times. If we do not have injuries in front then we can push City which had Sane and Silva yesterday at the bench and this makew the difference betwwen City and the others….

As far as our defence 2 CBS have remained fit…ONLY!!

macattack
    macattack
    Participant
    • :

Time to review the predictions. Not as accurate as last year.

Pl: 3rd (city, chel, liv, utd, tott, ars) – wrong, we got 2nd
    Cl: semi – wrong, final
    Fa cup: – wrong, out earlier
    League cup: winners – wrong, out earlier
    Top scorer: salah – right!
    First sacking: – wrong, he was second to jokanovic

NotoriousBingo
    Participant
    • :

Well I got to admit that I was off by 2 points but we scored more and we conceded about as much as I expected. Mane even proved to be the top scorer like I predicted even though he shared that honor with Salah. The one player I over estimated was Shaqiri who I thought would play a bit more but I am sure he will improve in his 2nd season. Gomez also established himself as a force to be reckoned with. What else… oh yeah that remains to be seen

Sanj1
    Sanj1
    Participant
    • :

What a season? My prediction was we would win it. Somehow I feel a little robbed like I did in 2014. We just can’t rely upon opponents dropping points, so do we have to aim for 100 points next season?

Rob Fort Worth TX
    Rob Fort Worth TX
    Participant
    • :

Seeing City win another trophy and at a cantor (dreadful tactics by Watford and hope they get slammed 7-0) makes me even more angrier (if that’s the right word) that we must and have to win the CL. I know we’re heading in the right direction but our efforts have to be rewarded at some point.

Sanj1
    Sanj1
    Participant
    • :

Watford being destroyed, so it could be a 7-0 Rob. A domestic treble for City. If we can win the CL final Rob, which will be a tight game against Spurs, next season should be very close again in the premiership. Come on the Redmen. Ynwa

hairyharry
    Participant
    • :

Well i guess we get to play them first game of the season in the charity shield. Hopefully smash them, wreck their confidence and they get a few lengthy injuries too to boot lol

Sanj1
    Sanj1
    Participant
    • :

That may be a very good thing indeed Harry. Charity Shield against City to open the next season might be just what we need to carry on from where we left off this premiership campaign. Ynwa 🙂

Viewing 20 posts - 41 through 60 (of 60 total)

You must be logged in to reply this topic.