9 games from greatness?

This topic contains 147 replies, has 31 voices, and was last updated by  Songman 4 years, 10 months ago.

Viewing 20 posts - 1 through 20 (of 148 total)
  • Author

gingerlfc
    Participant
    • :

1 point behind with 9 league games to go.
    5 at home, 4 away
    It’s not just who these teams are but when we play them that’s important.
    The 5 home are Burnley, Spurs, Chelsea, Huddersfield, Wolves.
    The aways are Fulham, Southampton, Cardiff, Newcastle.

Burnley are just outside the drop zone, they are still fighting for safety, every points a prisoner, this will not be easy.
    Spurs are now outta the title race and I’d be very surprised if they dropped outta the top 4 any time soon. Their focus may now turn to a big push for the CL, especially with Real and PSG dropping out and Juve struggling. They don’t have the squad to compete seriously in both, something has to give.
    Chelsea I can see focusing all their efforts on winning the EL. They’re sitting 6th and making top 4 will not be easy. They’re joint favs to win the EL however so can see their attention turning there.
    These 2 games will not be easy but their focus elsewhere could really help us.
    Huddersfield are gone. Nothing left to play for.
    Last game of the season v Wolves. They could be chasing an EL position by then, could be tricky and are decent footballing side.

The aways. Fulham are basically gone. I expect them to be even worse off by the time we meet them next week.
    Southampton are fighting for their lives at the min, like Burnley. They gave UTD a good game last week and play Spurs today. This is probably our toughest away depending on results before we meet them.
    Cardiff another fighting for their lives and again their results leading up to when we meet them in late April could decide how difficult this will be.
    Last away to Newc. Hopefully theyre safe by then. Hopefully Rafa does us a favour too.

It’s actually looking like the teams in the bottom 8 are gonna give us tougher games than those in the top 8. This time of year you want to be playing mid table teams…can’t get relegated, can’t win/qualify for anything.
    Nothing worth winning is ever easy.

NotoriousBingo
    Participant
    • :

Great position to be in and its a intereating bunch of games… Everyone got something to play for with a few exceptions, no easy games as everyone will want to spoil the party.

Sean the sailor
    Participant
    • :

I think it’s a good run of games. Our home form is excellent.

It’s away from home that’s the worry. I really don’t mind missing out on the league if we have really gone for it but I really fear Sunday’s negative approach is the real turning point.

I hope we are still in it by the time utd play city.

It’s really up to us now. Have we really got the balls to achieve the biggest thing we have done in 30 years Or do we just decay and fall apart from here on in?

Good run of games. Let’s get some wins under our belt.

nine nine nine
    • :

Sean, surely given the fact that City are currently one point ahead now it’s up to City?

If City drop points at United or anywhere else for that matter it will swing around again.

Can Liverpool cope with a joint challenge for the PL and the CL? Can even City cope with a joint challenge for the PL and the CL

Still to close to call imo and there will be more twists and turns along the way.

May the best team win it.

Sean the sailor
    Participant
    • :

Sorry nine I didn’t get my point across correctly.

I mean it’s up to us now to regain our form and start to produce performances.

Ye it’s out of our hands and as I said weeks ago as soon as that happens, I can’t see city letting the lead slip. They have far to much experience.

I’m hoping we can still be in it by time city go to ot.

gingerlfc
    Participant
    • :

Well that’s another game and another 3 points put away.
    8 games to go.
    Next weekend we play Fulham and if we win we go top. City don’t play that weekend.
    The game after that City play Fulham but we play Spurs at Anfield.
    This is probably our toughest home game left of the season.
    That weekend is very important in the race for the title.

Another period that’ll be extremely important is the week starting 20-28th April.
    That weekend City play Spurs, we play Cardiff. On the Wed City play Utd for their game in hand then at the weekend play Burnley and we play Huddersfield.
    That week presents our biggest opportunity to over take City with the same games played.
    In order for that week to be meaningful we need to get past Spurs and Chelsea at Anfield. Spurs will be very tough, they could still be in the top 4 fight. Chelseas focus may have turned towards the EL and qualifying for next years CL via that avenue.

Songman
    Participant
    • :

I wouldn’t even bother analysing it beyond the next game, let’s win that and move on to the next game. Although let’s hope United can beat City also.

The way I see it, we have nothing to lose, so we should now go full out to destroy the opposition, while keeping it tight at the back of course.

One other thing that may be favourable for Liverpool is that Salah is clearly annoyed with his goalscoring slump, but he’s a fighter and hungry for success. No way will he just accept Mane and Firmino eclipsing his limelight, especially after becoming a global superstar last season. If he can just recover his devastating goalscoring in time, it could go a long way to our success

gingerlfc
    Participant
    • :

You can be sure as shit Klopp is analysing who we’ve left to play, when we play them and where they could be in the league when we meet them. And doing the same for City.
    As I said in the initial post, it isn’t just who we’ve left to play that’s important, it’s when we play them too.

Songman
    Participant
    • :

I didn’t say anything about Klopp analysing who we have left to play, I just stated my personal opinion.

For me, the most important thing is to focus on the next game ONLY and get 3 points in that, and repeat for the next game etc. In fact I think Klopp, and some of the team, have said the same. No point in looking too far ahead.

Doesn’t matter who our opponent is, we just have to beat them. And it is also fairly obvious that Klopp may change his team for some opponents e.g. playing 4 attackers against a much weaker opponent at Anfield.

Although I could see forward planning required if we get to the next round of the CL. If this happens, I would play our strongest team in the league, while we are still are in contention for the title

gingerlfc
    Participant
    • :

“I just stated my personal opinion.”
    As did I.

It’s a managers job to plot the season ahead. While publicly and even to the playing squad he will be saying “we are only focusing on the next game”, in reality him and his back room staff will be looking further ahead.

Tomk
    Participant
    • :

For me Salah is becoming frustrating. People have said that he played well yesterday against Burnley, I disagree his passes went astray and overall he was poor. I would have taken him off. He also does not challenge in the air with his head bit scared.

Songman
    Participant
    • :

Sure Klopp can look ahead and plan for the upcoming fixtures, but we now have a fairly full squad with no new major injuries, and no congestion fixture, so he can now put most of his focus on the next game only, with minimal rotation

Songman
    Participant
    • :

Tomk, don’t discount Salah, he’ll be back with a bang soon

Tomk
    Participant
    • :

Songman hope you’re right. I desperately want him to get back to his best!

mwake
    mwake
    Participant
    • :

As for Salah last season was a bit of a freak. None of the the front three are natural strikers despite their relatively high goal counts. So we can’t always get too upset over the way they miss goals. If it was Lineker, Shearer, Owen, Fowler, Kane and they were missing the target then I would understand getting upset but our forwards are not strikers at heart. Sometimes we have to forgive them and let it go as frustrating as it maybe.

gingerlfc
    Participant
    • :

And yet 2 of the front 3 are in the top 5 scorers for the season.

redsforever
    Participant
    • :

Salah will finish as the league top goalscorer again.

Tomk
    Participant
    • :

Salah will finish as the league top scorer? He doesn’t have many games left to prove that.

gingerlfc
    Participant
    • :

7 games to go.
    Top of the league by 2 points but City have a game in hand against Utd.
    Mane becomes top scorer after another goal today but VVDs howler out us under unnecessary pressure at the end. Mane involved again winning the peno while Milner cool as usual and slots it away.
    Salah once again taking the wrong option far too often and being overly greedy on the ball. The game could have been put to bed long ago if he had just made the simple pass left to Mane/Firmino but instead he went for personal glory.
    Klopp needs to pull him aside and have a word.

A bit of a break now and then next up Spurs. A major test in this race for the title.

redsforever
    Participant
    • :

Utd will roll over at OT against city. They wont allow us win the league

Viewing 20 posts - 1 through 20 (of 148 total)

You must be logged in to reply this topic.