Premier League • England

Roy Keane ruthlessly slams Liverpool star who is a ‘big baby’ after remarkable controversy

Andy Robertson and Diogo Jota

Despite Liverpool defender Andy Robertson appearing to be struck by the assistant referee during their draw with Arsenal, Roy Keane has labelled him a “big baby”.

Liverpool drew 2-2 with Arsenal at Anfield on Sunday in a dramatic match. However, as entertaining as the action on the pitch was, something that happened after the half-time whistle is threatening to overshadow things.

Liverpool left-back Robertson accused assistant referee Constantine Hatzidakis of elbowing him in the throat after making a complaint towards him, before being shown a yellow card in the aftermath.

It was an unexpected and unprecedented development, from which there could be repercussions. But according to outspoken Sky Sports pundit and former Man Utd captain Keane, Robertson should be looking inwards at himself.

Keane said during Sky‘s coverage: “Does Robertson grab the linesman first? I’m not sure but Robertson’s then complaining.

“He should be more worried about his defending. Do you know what he is, that Robertson? I’ve watched him a number of times, he is a big baby; that’s what that guy is.

“Just get on with the game and concentrate on your defending. He does grab the linesman first.”

PGMOL to look into Andy Robertson clash

Regardless of Keane’s claims, the incident will be investigated by refereeing body PGMOL.

A statement by the organisation, published while the second half was ongoing, said: “The PGMOL is aware of an incident involving assistant referee Constantine Hatzidakis and Liverpool defender Andrew Robertson at half-time during the Liverpool v Arsenal fixture at Anfield.

“We will review the matter in full once the game has concluded.”

Liverpool manager Jurgen Klopp later denied seeing the incident, despite admitting he was aware of what had allegedly happened.

Robertson – who was making his 26th Premier League appearance of the season – ultimately remained on the pitch for the full 90 minutes of an exhilarating match on Merseyside.

Liverpool had gone two goals down when Gabriel Martinelli and Gabriel Jesus scored in the opening half an hour. However, Mohamed Salah pulled one back for the hosts before the break.

Salah went on to miss a penalty in the second half, but Roberto Firmino eventually equalised for Klopp’s side. Finally, Aaron Ramsdale made a couple of amazing saves to keep hold of a point for Arsenal.

READ MOREJurgen Klopp urged to axe Liverpool star who’s creating a ‘real problem’ that’s hard to solve